Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg hit back against the Justice Department’s lawsuit against California’s immigration policies, saying the denunciation of sanctuary cities has no legs to stand on.
“It’s factually untrue,” the Democrat told Cheddar in an interview Monday. “We, in fact, are cooperating with...federal law enforcement officials when it comes to apprehending people with serious charges against them or with serious criminal records.”
Last week, Attorney General Jeff Sessions accused California of obstructing enforcement of federal immigration laws, calling the state’s policies “extremist.” The legal action specifically targets three laws passed last year that limit local cooperation with federal agents and make it illegal for federal agents to raid private workspaces.
Over the past year, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has ramped up deportations and raids.
California isn’t deterred, though.
“We won’t cooperate when it comes to handing over information about people who do not have serious criminal backgrounds and serious criminal records,” said Mayor Steinberg.
“We are standing for the best American values.”
For the full interview, [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/sacramento-mayor-darrell-steinberg-weighs-in-on-the-dojs-lawsuit-against-california).
The lawyer for former NYPD commissioner Bernard Kerik turned over thousands of pages and documents to a special counsel as part of an investigation into Kerik's alleged involvement to overturn the results of the 2020 election.
Israel’s parliament on Monday approved the first major law in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s contentious plan to overhaul the country’s justice system, triggering a new burst of mass protests and drawing accusations that he was pushing the country toward authoritarian rule.
North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into its eastern sea, South Korea’s military said Tuesday, adding to a recent streak in weapons testing that is apparently in protest of the U.S. sending major naval assets to South Korea in a show of force.
Now the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration has proposed a rule that would cut the current limit for silica exposure by half — a major victory for safety advocates. But there is skepticism and concern about the government following through after years of broken promises and delays.
A state trooper's account of officers denying migrants water in 100-degree Fahrenheit (37.7 Celsius) temperatures and razor wire leaving asylum-seekers bloodied has prompted renewed criticism.