In this photo taken Sunday, March 8, 2020, a woman wearing a mask against COVID-19 stands near an advertisement for Huawei mobile phones in Beijing. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)
The U.S. government is imposing new restrictions on Chinese tech giant Huawei by limiting its ability to use American technology to build its semiconductors.
The Commerce Department said Friday the move aims to cut off Huawei's undermining of existing U.S. sanctions.
The new restriction is separate from an ongoing Trump administration reprieve on U.S. technology sales to Huawei. The U.S. government blacklisted the Chinese tech company a year ago, deeming it a national security risk, but the limited reprieve allows wireless companies to keep offering service in remote parts of the U.S.
The Commerce Department said this week that reprieve is being extended for another 90 days.
But numerous loopholes have been exploited, especially as U.S. companies continued to supply Huawei with chips made outside the United States. The Commerce Department said the new restriction will “narrowly and strategically" target Huawei’s acquisition of semiconductors built in overseas foundries but using U.S. software and technology.
Steve Sosnick, chief strategist with Interactive Brokers, joined Cheddar News to discuss Monday's light trading session ahead of debt ceiling discussions on Tuesday. Sosnick also weighed in on what the Federal Reserve could have in its sight.
General Motors (GM) has submitted a safety recall notification to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for 994,763 sports utility vehicles with defective airbag inflators.
Wall Street drifted higher ahead of reports that will show how much a slowing economy is hurting what’s prevented a recession so far: solid spending by U.S. households.