By Mark Sherman
The Supreme Court announced Monday that it is postponing arguments for late March and early April because of the coronavirus, including fights over subpoenas for President Donald Trump’s financial records.
Other business will go on as planned, including the justices' private conference on Friday and the release of orders in a week's time. Some justices may participate by telephone, the court said in a statement.
Six of the nine justices are 65 and older, at higher risk of getting very sick from the illness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 87, and Stephen Breyer, 81, are the oldest members of the court.
There is no new date set for the postponed arguments. the building has been closed to the public since last week.
The only other time the 85-year-old court building was closed for arguments was in October 2001, when anthrax was detected in the court mailroom. That led the justices to hold arguments in the federal courthouse about a half mile from the Supreme Court,
Within a week and after a thorough cleaning, the court reopened.
In 1918, when the court still met inside the Capitol, arguments were postponed for a month because of the flu pandemic. In the nation's early years, in August 1793 and August 1798, adjustments were made because of yellow fever outbreaks, the court said.
The Fed said in a statement that the decision to lower rates was influenced by the "implications of global developments for the economic outlook" and "muted inflation pressures."
The escalating measure follows several days of heightened tensions between the two countries over the attack on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia over the weekend.
In the shadow of the Washington Square Arch Monday night in front of a crowd of thousands, the presidential hopeful outlined her platform to fight corruption in Washington D.C.
Governments and energy markets worldwide remain on edge Monday as the U.S. continues to blame Iran for the drone attack on two oil installations in Saudi Arabia over the weekend.
The détente emerged Wednesday after China approved tariff exemptions for a number of U.S. imports and President Trump announced that the U.S. will postpone its forthcoming tariff hikes.
Reporter's Notebook: While Houstonians may be used to weather in the 90s in mid-September, perhaps some of Thursday night's hottest takes happened on the debate stage, as the gloves came off between the top ten Democratic primary candidates.
In the wake of two mass shootings last month in Texas, gun control took center stage at the third Democratic debate Thursday night, and gave former Congressman Beto O’Rourke one of the best moments of his campaign.
Walsh, a former Congressman from Illinois and conservative radio host, launched his campaign last month by trying to make the case that Trump is uniquely and morally unfit to lead the nation.
A coalition of 145 CEOs sent an open letter to the U.S. Senate urging them to take up legislation to curb the epidemic of gun violence.
President Trump announced Wednesday that the government will develop new policies to ban flavored e-cigarettes in an effort to curb underage vaping.
Load More