By Mark Sherman
The Supreme Court announced Monday that it is postponing arguments for late March and early April because of the coronavirus, including fights over subpoenas for President Donald Trump’s financial records.
Other business will go on as planned, including the justices' private conference on Friday and the release of orders in a week's time. Some justices may participate by telephone, the court said in a statement.
Six of the nine justices are 65 and older, at higher risk of getting very sick from the illness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 87, and Stephen Breyer, 81, are the oldest members of the court.
There is no new date set for the postponed arguments. the building has been closed to the public since last week.
The only other time the 85-year-old court building was closed for arguments was in October 2001, when anthrax was detected in the court mailroom. That led the justices to hold arguments in the federal courthouse about a half mile from the Supreme Court,
Within a week and after a thorough cleaning, the court reopened.
In 1918, when the court still met inside the Capitol, arguments were postponed for a month because of the flu pandemic. In the nation's early years, in August 1793 and August 1798, adjustments were made because of yellow fever outbreaks, the court said.
It's been 54 years since the Voting Rights Act was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson, and for 50 years it stood as rock-solid. All that changed with a 2013 Supreme Court case in Shelby v Holder, where judges ruled that states no longer require federal approval to impose new voting laws as previously codified in the Voting Rights Act.
From Wall Street to Silicon Valley, these are the top stories that moved markets and had investors, business leaders, and entrepreneurs talking this week on Cheddar.
These are the headlines you Need 2 Know for Friday, November 29, 2019.
These are the headlines you Need 2 Know for Wednesday, November 27, 2019.
Phil Arballo, a Mexican-American businessman competing in the Democratic primary for California's 22nd district House seat, says he's received $300,000 donations in light of GOP Rep. Devin Nunes pro-Trump.
With "no sign of slowdown" in the concentrations of greenhouse gases according to a report by the UN's World Meteorological Organization, the international body renews its call for drastically reducing emissions globally.
These are the headlines you Need 2 Know for Tuesday, November 26, 2019.
After months of speculation, former NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg made it official that he's running for president, and the media outlet he founded has outlined how they plan on covering the race from this point forward.
From Wall Street to Silicon Valley, these are the top stories that moved markets and had investors, business leaders, and entrepreneurs talking this week on Cheddar.
These are the headlines you Need 2 Know.
Load More