Electronic Arts is in some trouble with its Star Wars fan base. "Star Wars Battlefront 2," officially comes out on Friday, but many players are already upset over the expensive in-game transactions necessary to unlock certain characters. Tamoor Hussain, editor at GameSpot and Russell Holly, managing editor of VRHeads.com joined Cheddar to discuss the concept of paying extra within a game. Hussain says that it used to take a significant number of hours to gain points in order to unlock certain characters, which upset players. So, companies began to add the option to buy the power to unlock them. But people are still upset. He says it could impact sales this week, but many people won't be looking into the issue too deeply. Holly says in-game transactions are a tremendous business for Electronic Arts, which just bought Respawn Entertainment for over $400 million. To ease some of the pressure, EA said that it will reducing the amount of resources it'll take to access key players in the upcoming game. "They kind of changed the discoursed around the game," Hussain said, adding that this move will sway public opinion positively.

Share:
More In Technology
Tim Cook Blasts Silicon Valley, Calls for Privacy Protections
Apple CEO Tim Cook made his most forceful comments yet on the privacy concerns plaguing the tech industry, telling a conference in Brussels, Belgium that a "data-industrial complex" has led to eroding privacy rights around the world. Cook then called on the U.S. to adopt a landmark federal privacy law like the GDPR that went into effect earlier this year in the EU.
Snap Employees Are Eyeing Exit As Stock Sinks
Snapchat employees are looking to jump ship in growing numbers after a botched app redesign and drop in stock price soured many on the company’s future, according to an internal, anonymous survey.
Long-Time Tesla Short-Seller Does an About-Face
Notable short-seller Andrew Left of Citron Research has turned positive on the electric-car manufacturer. But Daniel Sparks, contributing senior tech analyst at Motley Fool, said the call may be more of a short-term bet.
Facebook Messenger Gets a Makeover ー Just in Time for Portal
Facebook is unveiling a redesigned, simplified version of its Messenger app that recalls the basic chat service the social media giant released as standalone app in 2014. Stan Chudnovsky, Facebook's head and VP of Messenger, told Cheddar's Hope King that the purpose of the overhaul was to "go back to the roots" with a simple, easy-to-use interface that prioritizes chats between friends.
Load More