*By Hope King* The only way Tesla can get out of its conundrum is to show that CEO Elon Musk did have funding secured at the time he posted his show-stopping tweet, according to former SEC Chair Laura Unger. "It was not true and accurate, according to everything I've read and seen, that he had financing secured at that time," Unger told Cheddar on Thursday afternoon. "That was quite a big overstatement ー 'financing secured' ー and it was one that was clearly misleading to the marketplace." Unger, who was sworn in as a Commissioner of the SEC in 1997 and served as Acting Chairman in 2001, said Musk's intentions to take the company private may be there, but the blog post he published Monday was not "very satisfactory" as an explanation of his plans. "Confession might be a little strong," Unger said, referring to a term used by Will Chamberlain, a plaintiff in one of the class action suits against Tesla. [Chamberlain joined Cheddar Monday](https://cheddar.com/videos/tesla-short-seller-calls-musks-blog-post-a-confession) a few hours after Musk's post published. His suit was [filed last Friday](https://cheddar.com/videos/class-action-lawsuit-filed-against-tesla-after-elon-musks-tweet) and alleges that “manipulative acts" resulted in "a short squeeze that drove the price of Tesla shares to artificially high levels.” Prior to his interview, Chamberlain said he covered his short positions (80 percent common stock, 20 percents puts) because he had to take the tweet seriously. The tweet said "funding" was "secured" and that Musk wanting to take the company private at $420 is reasonable. The NASDAQ halted trading for about an hour and a half last Tuesday, and the stock closed up 11 percent. Musk is the "CEO of a publicly traded company," Chamberlain said. "I have to hedge against the risk that he has not committed securities fraud. That seems like a reasonable thing to do." Unger said the tweet brings up another important question: Musk's state of mind. "Even if he didn't intend to manipulate the market or to mislead investors, if he was reckless in knowing or not knowing that \[the tweet\] would have caused people to buy or sell securities based on that information ... then that would be sufficient to show his state of mind," Unger said. And if that's the case, the most severe action the SEC could take would be to bar him from acting as an officer or director of a public company. "He's probably wishing right now that he was the CEO of a private company and that that date can't come too soon," Unger said. "But unfortunately he's not." For more on this story, [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/climate-change-brings-devastating-heat-wave).

Share:
More In Business
Michigan Judge Sentences Walmart Shoplifters to Wash Parking Lot Cars
A Michigan judge is putting sponges in the hands of shoplifters and ordering them to wash cars in a Walmart parking lot when spring weather arrives. Genesee County Judge Jeffrey Clothier hopes the unusual form of community service discourages people from stealing from Walmart. The judge also wants to reward shoppers with free car washes. Clothier says he began ordering “Walmart wash” sentences this week for shoplifting at the store in Grand Blanc Township. He believes 75 to 100 people eventually will be ordered to wash cars this spring. Clothier says he will be washing cars alongside them when the time comes.
State Department Halts Plan to buy $400M of Armored Tesla Vehicles
The State Department had been in talks with Elon Musk’s Tesla company to buy armored electric vehicles, but the plans have been put on hold by the Trump administration after reports emerged about a potential $400 million purchase. A State Department spokesperson said the electric car company owned by Musk was the only one that expressed interest back in May 2024. The deal with Tesla was only in its planning phases but it was forecast to be the largest contract of the year. It shows how some of his wealth has come and was still expected to come from taxpayers.
Goodyear Blimp at 100: ‘Floating Piece of Americana’ Still Thriving
At 100 years old, the Goodyear Blimp is an ageless star in the sky. The 246-foot-long airship will be in the background of the Daytona 500 — flying roughly 1,500 feet above Daytona International Speedway, actually — to celebrate its greatest anniversary tour. Even though remote camera technologies are improving regularly and changing the landscape of aerial footage, the blimp continues to carve out a niche. At Daytona, with the usual 40-car field racing around a 2½-mile superspeedway, views from the blimp aptly provide the scope of the event.
Load More