*By Jeffrey Marcus* Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Tuesday he was considering taking the company private at a price of $420 a share, posting his intentions [on Twitter](https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1026872652290379776) and causing the stock price to jump 7 percent before trading was temporarily halted around 2 p.m. Tesla closed up 11 percent at nearly $380 after trading resumed. "As a public company, we are subject to wild swings in our stock price that can be a major distraction for everyone working at Tesla," Musk said Tuesday in [an email to employees](https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/taking-tesla-private?redirect=no). He also said the quarterly financial requirements of being a public company "puts enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term." Since Tesla is also the most shorted stock in history, Musk said the company's doubters have incentive to bash the company and depress the company's share price. He indicated that taking the company private would allow Tesla to focus on long-term ambitions and remove "perverse incentives for people to try to harm what we're all trying to achieve." Tesla reported its biggest quarterly loss ever last week, saying in its [second-quarter earnings report](https://cheddar.com/videos/tesla-stock-surges-after-q2-earnings-report) that the carmaker lost more $717 million on $4 billion in revenue. It burned through less cash ー $739.5 million in Q2 compared to $1 billion the quarter before ー and managed to increase production significantly of the mid-range Model 3 sedan. With $2.2 billion in cash on hand at the end of the second quarter, Tesla would have enough to operate until the end of the year. Musk said Tuesday on Twitter that he had secured funding for a deal to take Tesla private that would value the company at more than $70 billion. It would [require a shareholder vote](https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1026914941004001280), Musk said. His plan, [outlined in the email to employees](https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/taking-tesla-private?redirect=no), would give shareholders a choice to sell their shares or maintain a stake in the private company. Employees would remain shareholders, and Tesla would be independent of Musk's other company, Space X, though the structures would be similar. Galileo Russell, founder of HyperChange TV and an outspoken supporter of Musk and Tesla, said in an interview on Cheddar he doesn't want to sell his shares. "Being forced to sell at $420 in a go-private deal would be a little bit of a bummer because, although myself and all the other Tesla investors would make money at an all-time high, we'd be missing out on a long-term ride," Russell said. Musk has a history of making bold statements on Twitter and walking back from the precipice after more careful consideration, but the more detailed email to employees seems to add credence to his plan to go private. "The internet means that someone like Elon Musk can say something and instantly the whole world can see it," Russell said. And investors can react just as quickly. For full interview, [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/elon-musk-tesla-could-go-private).

Share:
More In Business
Starbucks’ Change Flushes Out a Debate Over Public Restroom Access
Starbucks’ decision to restrict its restrooms to paying customers has flushed out a wider problem: a patchwork of restroom use policies that varies by state and city. Starbucks announced last week a new code of conduct that says people need to make a purchase if they want to hang out or use the restroom. The coffee chain's policy change for bathroom privileges has left Americans confused and divided over who gets to go and when. The American Restroom Association, a public toilet advocacy group, was among the critics. Rules about restroom access in restaurants vary by state, city and county. The National Retail Federation says private businesses have a right to limit restroom use.
Trump Highlights Partnership Investing $500 Billion in AI
President Donald Trump is talking up a joint venture investing up to $500 billion for infrastructure tied to artificial intelligence by a new partnership formed by OpenAI, Oracle and SoftBank. The new entity, Stargate, will start building out data centers and the electricity generation needed for the further development of the fast-evolving AI in Texas, according to the White House. The initial investment is expected to be $100 billion and could reach five times that sum. While Trump has seized on similar announcements to show that his presidency is boosting the economy, there were already expectations of a massive buildout of data centers and electricity plants needed for the development of AI.
Load More