If the reports are true, Apple ($AAPL) will be testing out a new strategy for its all-important fall hardware event. Traditionally, this year would be what's come to be known in Apple parlance as a "mid-cycle" upgrade year: some feature and processor refreshing, but no major overhauls of its core iPhone, iPad, and MacBook lines.

But reading the tea leaves from a Bloomberg report published Thursday, Apple's plans this year go further than what would be typical of a mid-cycle refresh.

In addition to iPad and MacBook refreshes, Apple plans to unveil three new iPhones, according to Bloomberg, including a "Pro" line to replace the XS. The upgraded iPhone Pro will reportedly include a major overhaul to the camera to include a third, wide-angle sensor that will essentially take three photos and use A.I. to stitch them together into one image. Samsung has made huge strides in its phone camera tech, and the Galaxy S10's ultrawide camera is increasingly seen as the smartphone camera to beat.

The new line of iPhones are said to also include reverse wireless charging, enhanced Face ID, increased water-resistance, faster chips for A.R. ー though no 5G capability.

Dan Ives, managing director of equity research for Wedbush Securities and a full-time Apple watcher, told Cheddar that Apple is leaning into the mid-upgrade cycle in a bid to offer just enough new features to convince customers who may be on the fence about upgrading to pull the trigger.

"Apple realizes there's 350 million iPhones in upgrade opportunity," Ives said. "That's what the focus is going to be."

After a disastrous holiday quarter last year, a successful fall hardware launch needs to show investors that Apple is still capable of driving demand for iPhone even in off years, especially overseas. Ives said he expects Apple could sell 75 million to 80 million new iPhones in the first few months, but it will be dependent on China, which accounts for 20 percent of the iPhone upgrade market.

"This will not be successful if iPhone demand in China has not shown growth," he said.

Apple is taking a calculated risk by not waiting until 2020, when it has said it expects to be able to provide 5G technology in new devices. The hope, according to Ives, is that the average iPhone user, who hasn't purchased a new device in three years, will be swayed by the camera technology and faster processor that are expected to be revealed in the next month. "I do not believe many can wait until 5G," Ives said.

It will be a busy fall for the Cupertino-based company. Apple's subscription streaming service TV+, rumored to be priced at $10/month, is also expected to launch before the holidays. Ives is more bullish than some on the success of TV+, predicting it could reach 100 million consumers in three to four years. "But they're going to need more content," he said. "They significantly have to step up their game." Ives predicts Apple will ink major acquisition deals with big studios in the coming years when it becomes apparent it can't possibly produce enough high-end content on its own to catch up to Disney, HBO, or Netflix.

Share:
More In Business
Top EV Stocks to Watch in 2022
Tesla posted solid delivery numbers over the last year, with deliveries surpassing over 930,000, an 87 percent jump from the same period in 2020. Anthony Sassine, CFA, Senior Investment Strategies, KraneShares joined Wake Up with Cheddar to discuss the top EV stocks as well as how Tesla will stay relevant in the crowded space.
NYT Piece Claims Silicon Valley Investors and Founders Contorted Legal Tax Break to Avoid Taxes on Investment Profits
Several Silicon Valley insiders are being accused of contorting a 1990s-era tax break to avoid taxes on millions of dollars of investment profits. The tax break is known as the qualified small business stock exemption, and it allows early investors in certain companies to avoid half of the taxes on up to $10 million in capital gains. A piece recently published in the New York Times says venture capital firms like Andreessen Horowitz replicated the tax exemption by giving shares of companies to friends and family, who would otherwise face a 23.8% capital gains bill. The CEO of Roblox is also accused of replicating the tax break for his family members at least 12 times. Although the loophole known as 'stacking' is considered to be legal, the Times piece implies that the exemption has been manipulated for the ultra-wealthy to become more wealthy. Greycroft co-founder and Chairman Emeritus Alan Patricof joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Competitive Stock-Trading Mobile App Zingeroo Raises $8.5 Million
There is a new player in the mobile app stock trading space. Zingeroo recently announced a funding round of $8.5 million. The company says it aims to bring 'friendly competition' to stock trading, by literally breaking trading down into daily and weekly competitions between friends. Zingeroo also says it hopes its new approach can make trading more accessible, educational, and social than ever before. Zingeroo co-founder and CEO Zoe Barry joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell for more.
Stocks Close Higher on First Trading Day of 2022
Stocks closed higher on the first trading day of 2022, with both the Dow and the S&P 500 hitting record closes. Apple and Tesla created momentum, with the tech giant hitting a $3 trillion market cap, and the EV maker reporting over 300,000 deliveries in the fourth quarter of 2021. Investors are taking an optimistic approach to start the year even as COVID-19 continues to linger and omicron cases soar. Rebecca Walser, President at Walser Wealth Management, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss today's market movement, her broad predictions for the year, and more.
AT&T and Verizon Refuse FAA Request to Pause 5G Service Rollout
As cell carriers AT&T and Verizon planned to roll out nationwide 5G service this week, the FAA and U.S. DOT are asking the companies to pause their plans so more research can be done on the impact 5G has on aircraft technology. The companies are refusing, citing French regulations that limit wireless signals around airports while allowing research to continue. This week's launch wasn't the first time concerns have delayed 5G — last year, Airbus and Boeing express concerns, pushing the deadline into November, December, and then into this year. So what happens now — and what happens next? Will 5G roll out this year as expected? Jon Swartz, Senior Reporter at MarketWatch, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss the state of the planned 5G rollout, why the FAA and U.S. Department of Transportation are asking carriers to stall the launch, and more.
Load More