Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg hit back against the Justice Department’s lawsuit against California’s immigration policies, saying the denunciation of sanctuary cities has no legs to stand on.
“It’s factually untrue,” the Democrat told Cheddar in an interview Monday. “We, in fact, are cooperating with...federal law enforcement officials when it comes to apprehending people with serious charges against them or with serious criminal records.”
Last week, Attorney General Jeff Sessions accused California of obstructing enforcement of federal immigration laws, calling the state’s policies “extremist.” The legal action specifically targets three laws passed last year that limit local cooperation with federal agents and make it illegal for federal agents to raid private workspaces.
Over the past year, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has ramped up deportations and raids.
California isn’t deterred, though.
“We won’t cooperate when it comes to handing over information about people who do not have serious criminal backgrounds and serious criminal records,” said Mayor Steinberg.
“We are standing for the best American values.”
For the full interview, [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/sacramento-mayor-darrell-steinberg-weighs-in-on-the-dojs-lawsuit-against-california).
U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez returns to court Monday to enter an expected not guilty plea to a conspiracy charge alleging he acted as an agent of the Egyptian government when he chaired the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Hamas militants on Friday freed two Americans -- a mother and her teenage daughter who had been held hostage in Gaza since militants rampaged through Israel two weeks ago, the Israeli government said.
A Texas judge has ruled that Infowars host Alex Jones cannot use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying more than $1.1 billion to families who sued over his conspiracy theories that the Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.
Former President Donald Trump was fined $5,000 on Friday after a disparaging social media post about a key court staffer in his New York civil fraud case was allowed to linger on his campaign website after the judge ordered it deleted.
Lawyer Kenneth Chesebro pleaded guilty to a felony on Friday just as jury selection was getting underway in his trial on charges accusing him of participating in efforts to overturn Donald Trump’s loss in the 2020 election in Georgia.