The head of the World Health Organization says he will begin an independent evaluation of the U.N. health agency’s response to the coronavirus pandemic “at the earliest appropriate moment.”
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made the pledge Monday after an independent oversight advisory body published its first interim report about the U.N. health agency’s response to COVID-19 from January to April.
The 11-page report raised questions such as whether WHO’s warning system for alerting the world to outbreaks is adequate, and suggested member states might need to “reassess” WHO’s role in providing travel advice to countries.
The advisory body’s review and recommendations appeared unlikely to appease the United States administration, which has been scathing in its criticism of WHO — in part over President Donald Trump’s allegation that it had criticized a U.S. travel ban that he ordered on people arriving from China, where the outbreak first appeared late last year.
Trump ordered a temporary suspension of funding for WHO from the United States — the health agency’s biggest single donor — pending a review of its early response. But the review panel, echoing comments from many countries, said such a review during the “heat of the response” could hurt WHO’s ability to respond to it.
China's leaders are easing limits on how many children each couple can have, hoping to counter the rapid aging of Chinese society.
The Supreme Court is leaving in place a $2 billion verdict in favor of women who say they developed ovarian cancer from using Johnson & Johnson talc products.
Senate Republicans have blocked the creation of a bipartisan panel to study the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
Far more Americans are receiving unemployment benefits than the last time the jobless rate was at the current 6.1%.
The world's two largest economies, China and the United States, look to build their own digital currencies even as they look to reign in the private crypto sector.
Excessive sanitizing over COVID-19 fears may actually be harming more than helping. Cheddar explains.
The District of Columbia has sued Amazon, accusing the online retail giant of illegal anticompetitive practices in its treatment of sellers on its platform.
The White House says the United States on Tuesday will reach 50% of American adults fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
The White House says President Joe Biden is awaiting an infrastructure counteroffer from Senate Republicans. But talks are at standstill before a Memorial Day deadline.
The White House has put forward a $1.7 trillion infrastructure counteroffer to Senate Republicans.
Load More