The head of the World Health Organization says he will begin an independent evaluation of the U.N. health agency’s response to the coronavirus pandemic “at the earliest appropriate moment.”

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made the pledge Monday after an independent oversight advisory body published its first interim report about the U.N. health agency’s response to COVID-19 from January to April.

The 11-page report raised questions such as whether WHO’s warning system for alerting the world to outbreaks is adequate, and suggested member states might need to “reassess” WHO’s role in providing travel advice to countries.

The advisory body’s review and recommendations appeared unlikely to appease the United States administration, which has been scathing in its criticism of WHO — in part over President Donald Trump’s allegation that it had criticized a U.S. travel ban that he ordered on people arriving from China, where the outbreak first appeared late last year.

Trump ordered a temporary suspension of funding for WHO from the United States — the health agency’s biggest single donor — pending a review of its early response. But the review panel, echoing comments from many countries, said such a review during the “heat of the response” could hurt WHO’s ability to respond to it.

Share:
More In Politics
Airline CEOS Grilled Over Bailout Funds
Airline executives faced tough questions from Congress on Wednesday, with the Senate panel grilling top CEOs on how they used that $54 billion Covid-19 government lifeline. This hearing comes as airlines continue to face staffing shortages and widespread delays. Jason Ader, Leisure Analyst and CEO of SpringOwl Asset Management joined Cheddar's Opening Bell to discuss.
Joe Manchin Says 'No' to Biden's Build Back Better Plan
The Hill's White House Correspondent Alex Gangitano joined Wake Up With Cheddar to break down the deterioration of Senator Manchin and President Biden's relationship, as the White House calls out the West Virginia lawmaker for "breaching his commitments to the President."
Airline CEOs Get Pummeled on the Hill Over Bailouts As Labor Shortages Close In
Airline executives faced tough questions from a Senate panel on Wednesday after receiving a $54 billion dollar Covid-19 government lifeline. Congress approved the fund in three rounds covering much of US airlines’ payroll costs for 18 months. During the hearing lawmakers asked CEO’s how they used the federal bailout funds, about staffing issues, flight cancellations, and delays. U.S. airlines reported a record $35 billion dollar loss last year when travel came to an abrupt halt because of the pandemic. Michael Boyd, CEO at the Boyd Group International explains why customers may not be returning to the skies quite so soon.
Load More