The U.S. government is imposing new restrictions on Chinese tech giant Huawei by limiting its ability to use American technology to build its semiconductors.

The Commerce Department said Friday the move aims to cut off Huawei's undermining of existing U.S. sanctions.

The new restriction is separate from an ongoing Trump administration reprieve on U.S. technology sales to Huawei. The U.S. government blacklisted the Chinese tech company a year ago, deeming it a national security risk, but the limited reprieve allows wireless companies to keep offering service in remote parts of the U.S.

The Commerce Department said this week that reprieve is being extended for another 90 days.

But numerous loopholes have been exploited, especially as U.S. companies continued to supply Huawei with chips made outside the United States. The Commerce Department said the new restriction will “narrowly and strategically" target Huawei’s acquisition of semiconductors built in overseas foundries but using U.S. software and technology.

Share:
More In Business
Century 21 Returns to NYC After Closing Early in Pandemic
Century 21 was a long-time staple for bargain shopping in Manhattan when it went belly up in 2020 at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, as of last week, the store has reopened and some locals see it as a sign of an economic recovery in New York City.
Australia Cracks Down on Buy Now, Pay Later
Australia's government announced regulations for buy now, pay later services, which will be labeled as consumer credit products, which puts them under the country's Securities and Investments Commission's watch.
Load More