*By Hope King* Few company statements in history have been as controversial as the one Elon Musk made 20 days ago. And although it may seem like Tesla bears and bulls never agree, it's not always the case. Ross Gerber, a longtime investment manager and Tesla bull, said he believes "it was a big mistake" for Musk to tweet about his intentions for taking Tesla private back on Aug. 7. "We're unhappy that this was all done in the public forum," Gerber told Cheddar in an interview Monday afternoon. "[But] ultimately this is what’s best for the company." In the scheme of things he also believes the past few weeks will ultimately be insignificant to Tesla's history. "When we look backwards, this is just a blip in the overall Tesla story," Gerber said. "We'll forget hopefully in six months, maybe in six weeks ー you never know." What's concerning to Gerber, co-Founder, president and CEO of Gerber Kawasaki Wealth and Investment Management, is whether Tesla's production will be successful, and if the company's cars will be profitable. This is a point he'll concede to the Tesla bears. "That's a legitimate argument that's being made," Gerber said. "We look at this tweet stuff of 'oh how much someone might pay for my company' ... as a sort of embarrassing moment for Elon." Gerber, who drives a Model 3 and thinks it's "amazing," said he was concerned in December when he got an email saying his car would be delayed. "That was a much more stressful time." Even so, Musk's post on Friday night indicating Tesla is staying private comes as a relief to Gerber. He said he was "kinda happy to put this all to rest." "We didn't really want to sell our company for $420 a share," said Gerber. At the same time he was mostly happy to see the stock move higher on the news back on August 7, because it indicated to him that there are "many players that will buy" at $420. "We see that as an option right now." Tesla stock got as high as $387 after Musk's tweet but has since fallen back to about $320. Last Monday, it briefly fell below $300 a share. Gerber says he represents about 675 clients ("basically mom and pop" investors). His overall investment portfolio has about 38,000 shares of Tesla. His long position began five years ago, and his portfolio has already realized "millions of dollars" in gains and has $3 million-plus in unrealized gains. Shares of Tesla ended the day down about 1% Monday. For full interview [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/why-tesla-bull-ross-gerber-says-he-is-standing-by-automaker).

Share:
More In Business
Ford Cuts Production of F-150 Lightning Electric Truck
Ford says it’s reducing production of the F-150 Lightning electric pickup vehicle as it adjusts to weaker-than-expected electric vehicle sales growth. The automaker said about 1,400 workers will be impacted by the move.
Apple Overtakes Samsung as Top Seller of Smartphones
Dan Ives, Managing Director and Senior Equity Analyst at Wedbush Securities dives deeper into a report by the International Data Corporation (IDC) that Apple has ended Samsung's 12-year reign as the world's largest smartphone seller.
AI is the Big Opportunity and the Risk to Watch at Davos
Artificial intelligence is the biggest buzzword at the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos. Advances in generative AI stunned the world last year, and the elite crowd is angling to take advantage of its promise and minimize its risks.
A Smarter Smart Phone?
Smartphones could get much smarter this year as the next wave of artificial intelligence seeps into the devices that accompany people almost everywhere they go.
Who Could Be The World's First Trillionaire?
In an annual assessment of global inequalities, Oxfam International said the first trillionaire could emerge within the next decade — as the anti-poverty organization pointed to the growing wealth gap that skyrocketed globally during the pandemic.
Load More