Fallout from Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) collapse so far seems to be contained but the bank failure has had some ramifications for businesses with deposits at the financial institution. 

Roku was among those impacted, having around 26 percent of its cash and cash equivalents deposited at the bank. Around $487 million of its total $1.9 billion was in limbo before the government stepped in and said that the bank's clients would be able to recover their deposits in full.

News of the collapse initially plunged Roku's stock by as much as 9.2 percent on Monday, but it rebounded after President Joe Biden said the FDIC would protect impacted customers.

"First, all customers who had deposits in these banks can rest assured … they'll be protected and they'll have access to their money as of today," Biden said in a statement. "No losses will be borne by the taxpayers. Instead the money will come from the fees that banks pay into the Deposit Insurance Fund."

Even without the FDIC backing, Roku indicated to Cheddar News from SXSW that it had enough cash on hand to stay afloat. 

"So we filed an 8-K and that's really the totality of our public statement right now. In it, we did say that we're confident that we have the cash balances to meet all of our obligations. That's our public statement right now," Julian Mintz, co-head of U.S. brand sales at Roku, said. 

In an effort to avoid a potential financial crisis, global banking leader HSBC acquired SVB in the UK in order to protect a swath of British tech companies.

Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve announced on Monday that it is currently reviewing its own part in overseeing the failure of Silicon Valley Bank and it would have a report by May 1.

Share:
More In Technology
Didi Shareholders Vote to Delist From NYSE Amid China's Tech Crackdown
China's largest ride-hailing company will no longer be listed on the world's largest stock exchange. Didi shareholders voted on Monday to delist from the New York Stock Exchange, less than a year after launching a $4.4 billion IPO with the most significant U.S. share offering by a Chinese company since Alibaba debuted in 2014. Since going public in June of last year, around $70 billion has been wiped from Didi's market value and shares of the company have dropped nearly 90%. Now, Didi is expected to begin preparations to list in Hong Kong. Kevin T. Carter, founder and Chief Investment Officer of EMQQ Global, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Doctors Join Forces to Urge Investors to Hold Meta Responsible for Misinformation
Ahead of the Meta shareholder meeting, more than five hundred doctors have jointly sent a letter to investors to hold the Facebook parent accountable for the risks its platforms have posed to the public and mental health. Dr. Rob Davidson, a West Michigan ER physician and executive director of the Committee to Protect Health Care, joined Cheddar News to discuss how medical professionals are coming together to highlight the social media giant's spread of misinformation, especially during the pandemic. "We've seen the direct impacts of misinformation and disinformation that spreads like wildfire on the social media platforms," he said. "Our goal with this letter is to try to get the shareholders of Meta to convince leadership that they need to do a better job."
Snap Warning Sends Other Stocks Spiraling
Snap downgraded its earnings and revenue expectations for the second quarter, saying the "macroeconomic environment" has deteriorated faster than the company anticipated. The warning sent shockwaves through the digital ad industry, dragging down a handful of other tech stocks, including Pinterest, Meta, and Twitter. Daniel Cobb, CEO and Chief Strategy Officer of Daniel Brian Advertising, joined Cheddar to discuss the reason behind this warning, and why it's bringing so many social media stocks down.
Load More