Fallout from Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) collapse so far seems to be contained but the bank failure has had some ramifications for businesses with deposits at the financial institution. 

Roku was among those impacted, having around 26 percent of its cash and cash equivalents deposited at the bank. Around $487 million of its total $1.9 billion was in limbo before the government stepped in and said that the bank's clients would be able to recover their deposits in full.

News of the collapse initially plunged Roku's stock by as much as 9.2 percent on Monday, but it rebounded after President Joe Biden said the FDIC would protect impacted customers.

"First, all customers who had deposits in these banks can rest assured … they'll be protected and they'll have access to their money as of today," Biden said in a statement. "No losses will be borne by the taxpayers. Instead the money will come from the fees that banks pay into the Deposit Insurance Fund."

Even without the FDIC backing, Roku indicated to Cheddar News from SXSW that it had enough cash on hand to stay afloat. 

"So we filed an 8-K and that's really the totality of our public statement right now. In it, we did say that we're confident that we have the cash balances to meet all of our obligations. That's our public statement right now," Julian Mintz, co-head of U.S. brand sales at Roku, said. 

In an effort to avoid a potential financial crisis, global banking leader HSBC acquired SVB in the UK in order to protect a swath of British tech companies.

Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve announced on Monday that it is currently reviewing its own part in overseeing the failure of Silicon Valley Bank and it would have a report by May 1.

Share:
More In Technology
Gov. Hutchinson on Arkansas Tech Transformation, AR-15 Age Limit
Arkansas is planning to reshape itself by putting a strong emphasis on technology through computer science in the classroom. Governor Asa Hutchinson joined Cheddar News Buffa to discuss the state's efforts to promote itself as a future tech hub. “It gives young people such a huge opportunity for success," he noted. The term-limited governor also touched on the issue of gun ownership, offering up the idea of possibly raising the age limit to obtain rifles like the AR-15 to 21 instead of 18 as it currently stands.
Elon Musk Says Remote Work 'No Longer Acceptable' at Tesla
Elon Musk is demanding his Tesla employees to return to the office full time, a minimum of at least 40 hours a week. The CEO also took a shot at other companies who have some form of work-from-home status. The ultimatum comes at a tumultuous time for Musk with the reveal of a sexual misconduct scandal and his attempted Twitter purchase.
Escaping the Cyber Complexity Trap
Bindu Sundaresan, Director, AT&T Cybersecurity, joins Cheddar to discuss best practices and important cybersecurity milestones to hit for any organization, and how small business owners can think about cyber beyond technology and compliance.
Load More