As the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, Devin Nunes has recently been in the spotlight for his pro-Trump support during recent impeachment inquiry hearings. But like all members of Congress, he has an election coming up in 2020 and his Democrat challenger says his campaign has seen an outpouring of support since the hearings began.

"We've received over $300,000 in contributions since the beginning of this impeachment hearing from over 10,000 individual contributions," said Phil Arballo, who is trying to win the seat for California's 22nd District — a seat which Nunes has held since 2003.

Arballo, a Mexican-American businessman, entered the Democratic primary for the seat in June but said his campaign has seen a "groundswell of support" since attention shifted to Nunes during the hearings last week.

"As a constituent of his, and I can tell you from talking to a lot of people every day here on the ground, it's embarrassing, that he's our representative, here. He does not represent us here," Arballo said of the Central Valley.

Nunes defeated his Democratic challenger in 2018, but Arballo thinks the tide will turn in 2020.

"It's a very winnable seat," he said. "Everything is trending in the right direction for our race next year."

Nunes is not the only Republican whose role in the hearings may be helping Democratic challengers. Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York's 21st Congressional District played a prominent role in the hearings. Her 2020 challenger Tedra Cobb, who unsuccessfully challenged Stefanik in 2018, announced her campaign raised $1 million the weekend after the impeachment hearings.

Share:
More In Politics
Markets Open Slightly Higher As Investors Monitor Omicron Risk
Markets opened slightly higher to kick off the final trading week of the year as investors continue to watch the Omicron variant in the U.S. Sean O'Hara, President, Pacer ETFs joined Cheddar's Opening Bell to discuss what drove early market activity.
Doubts Linger After Chinese Tennis Player Peng Shuai Retracts Sexual Assault Claim
Former professional tennis player Patrick McEnroe joined Cheddar to discuss the troubling issues surrounding player Peng Shuai who appeared potentially to have been silenced following her social media post accusing former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual assault. Shuai's subsequent disappearance, reappearance, and apparent retraction of the accusation in an interview only added to worries. "When this happened, all of us in the tennis community were very concerned. And, by the way, another thing Peng said in this interview was that she doesn't speak very good English," McEnroe noted. "Well I can assure you, she speaks darn good English, 'cause I spoke to her on many occasions over the last 15 years."
How Universities Might Be Playing for Time With Remote Learning as Omicron Surges
Universities like UCLA, Yale, and Duke have announced they're implementing remote learning amid the COVID omicron variant surge, despite President Biden recommending that K-12 schools should continue in-person education. Jared C. Bass, senior director for Higher Education at American Progress, joined Cheddar to break down what institutions of higher education might be considering differently. "I think some universities are allowing periods of a bit of a respite to allow students to get testing and make sure when they do return back to campus that they're healthy," he noted.
S&P Closes at Record Despite Spread of Omicron Variant
The S&P closed at a record at the major markets ended Thursday's session higher for a third straight day. Adam Coons, Portfolio Manager at Winthrop Capital Management, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell, where he discusses what has investors feeling jolly before Christmas, and gifts investors with winning buying opportunities entering 2022.
An Omicron Christmas, Student Loans & Love, Hate, Ate
Carlo and Baker cover the heartening news on the Covid front ahead of the holiday, plus President Biden punting student loan repayments again, a new space telescope and Love, Hate, Ate: Christmas Eve Eve Edition!
Semiconductor Industry Warns Shortage Could Last Deep Into 2022
This year's worldwide semiconductor shortage limited the supply of everything from new cars to smartphones; and now, many in the chip industry expect the shortage to continue deep into 2022, and maybe even 2023. Semiconductor senior research analyst for Robert W. Baird & Co., Tristan Gerra, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Load More