President Donald Trump has praised the NRA and its leaders as "Great People and Great American Patriots," but one student who survived the Parkland, Fla., school shooting wants you to know that the group's lobbyists are not patriots.
“Would American patriots try to buy democracy from the American people?” David Hogg, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, asked in a Cheddar interview Friday.
“Will they lobby to implore them to make their voices more heard than others? Would they lobby American citizens to make sure that these children are murdered as a result of their inaction, because of [their] backing political figures?
“That’s not what I see as an American patriot. That's what I see as a coward and child murderer.”
The 17-year-old senior, a self-proclaimed Second Amendment supporter, is one of several Parkland students who’ve taken up the fight for gun control in the wake of last week’s attack, in which 17 people were killed.
And even though the #NeverAgain movement has drawn a lot of attention and support, Hogg doesn’t yet count it as a success.
“We’ve seen some reaction, but we haven’t seen literally any bills passed,” he said. “We’ve gotten people to pay attention. We need action though.”
For the full interview, [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/parkland-survivor-and-gun-activist-david-hogg-talks-neveragain-movement).
U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez returns to court Monday to enter an expected not guilty plea to a conspiracy charge alleging he acted as an agent of the Egyptian government when he chaired the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Hamas militants on Friday freed two Americans -- a mother and her teenage daughter who had been held hostage in Gaza since militants rampaged through Israel two weeks ago, the Israeli government said.
A Texas judge has ruled that Infowars host Alex Jones cannot use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying more than $1.1 billion to families who sued over his conspiracy theories that the Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.
Former President Donald Trump was fined $5,000 on Friday after a disparaging social media post about a key court staffer in his New York civil fraud case was allowed to linger on his campaign website after the judge ordered it deleted.
Lawyer Kenneth Chesebro pleaded guilty to a felony on Friday just as jury selection was getting underway in his trial on charges accusing him of participating in efforts to overturn Donald Trump’s loss in the 2020 election in Georgia.