New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday that New Yorkers should prepare for the possibility of a “shelter-in-place” order within the next 48 hours. 

The measure would be a step up from the city’s last order shutting down public schools as well as thousands of bars, restaurants, gyms, and casinos. 

It would also be the first of its kind on the East Coast and the most aggressive effort by a single municipality to halt the spread of the coronavirus, but the specifics have not been outlined. 

“All New Yorkers, even though a decision has not been made by the city or the state, I think that all New Yorkers should be prepared right now for the possibility of a shelter-in-place order,” he stated.

So far, just six counties in the San Francisco Bay Area have passed similar orders that starting Tuesday shut down all non-essential businesses and directed individuals to stay inside as much as possible until at least April 7.

The Northern California orders stopped short of prohibiting people from leaving their homes without express permission. Residents can still go out to obtain health care, shop for essentials, and provide assistance to friends and family members. A total of 6.7 million people fall under the orders 

New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson has pressured de Blasio to follow the Bay Area’s lead. He told WYNC radio on Tuesday that he feels the city is acting too slow in enacting stricter measures. 

The New York Times reported on Monday that there has also been pressure from within de Blasio’s administration to push ahead with more aggressive measures. 

Share:
More In Culture
2023 Grammy Awards Preview
Grammy weekend has arrived and Cheddar News has the rundown of what viewers can expect on music's biggest night.
Need2Know: January 31, 2023
First responders fired after video of police beating Tyre Nichols was released, 10 people show in Lanland, Fla. and winter storm is causing travel troubles. Here is everything you Need2Know for January 31, 2023.
Load More