New York City could start burying its dead in city parks if the mortality rate from coronavirus doesn’t decline soon, according to City Council Health Committee Chair Mark Levine.

“Soon we'll start ‘temporary interment’. This likely will be done by using a NYC park for burials (yes you read that right). Trenches will be dug for 10 caskets in a line,” Levine tweeted on Monday, adding that “it will be tough for NYers to take.”

Just as the number of COVID-19 infections has overwhelmed New York City hospitals, the number of deaths has begun to overwhelm the death care infrastructure, including the city’s system of morgues and now, it would seem, cemeteries. To supplement existing city- and hospital-owned morgues, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) purchased 45 refrigerated trucks to act as temporary morgues on top of 85 supplied by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).  According to Levine, most of those temporary morgues are now full and families with loved ones who have passed away due to COVID-19 are struggling to find funeral homes and cemeteries that will handle their deceased.

“Grieving families report calling as many as half a dozen funeral homes and finding none that can handle their deceased loved ones. Cemeteries are not able to handle the number of burial requests and are turning most down,” he wrote.

The councilmember’s comments attracted quite a bit of attention on Monday, earning more than 1,500 retweets and 1,800 likes, prompting Levine to clarify his earlier claims. In a later tweet, he called interment in city parks a “contingency” that wouldn’t be necessary if the death rate drops enough.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio told the New York Times that although the city has the ability to temporarily bury the dead if needed, the city was “not at the point that we’re going to go into that.” Cuomo pleaded ignorance of the plan altogether, saying that he’d heard “a lot of wild rumors,” but never anything about burials in city parks, according to the Times.

Aja Worthy-Davis, an OCME spokesperson, said the city is only conducting city burials at Hart Island in the Bronx for now.

Reports out of overwhelmed countries like Italy and Ecuador detail coffins awaiting burial in churches and on streets, and horror stories of families living with deceased loved ones, sometimes for days, because of an overwhelmed death care system.

“The goal is to avoid scenes like those in Italy, where the military was forced to collect bodies from churches and even off the streets,” Levine wrote on Monday.

Share:
More In Culture
Social App for Your Finances; Rise of the Chief People Officer
On this episode of ChedHER: Soyini Chan Shue, CEO of City Safe Partners, explains her career journey from NYPD to CEO of a security company; Traci Wilk, Chief People Officer at The Learning Experience, explains the top skills and traits of a Chief People Officer - which is one of the fastest-growing job roles; Fonta Gilliam, CEO and Co-Founder of Wellthi, breaks down how she's creating a social app to help you reach your financial goals; Courtney Wiggins, Owner and Artisan at The Winsome Apothecary, is this week's Female Founder spotlight and breaks down how she's creating products that are good for the environment and your self care routine.
In Case You Missed It: Fifth Grader Finds Error in Science Textbook
A Virginia fifth grader has made headlines for spotting an error in his science textbook. He noticed an igneous rock and a sedimentary rock had been labeled incorrectly and told his teacher who then helped get the message to the publisher, Five Ponds Press. The publisher reportedly sent a handwritten letter thanking the fifth grader for catching the error.
Load More