Hoboken Mayor-Elect: Tax Plan Is an Assault From Red States
New Jersey’s first Sikh mayor is preparing to take office on New Year’s Day and is already voicing his opinions about the new Republican tax law.
Ravinder Bhalla, Mayor-Elect of Hoboken, says that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is an assault from red states to blue states, on a national level. He claims that, at a local level, the attack is aimed at the residents of New Jersey. The state has a high tax rate, and the new plan limits deductions taxpayers can receive on state and local taxes up to $10,000. In the past, taxpayers did not have a capped limit.
“That’s going to have a huge economic impact on New Jersey, New York, California, and other states,” Bhalla said. “I am making sure I will do everything I can as mayor, to protect Hoboken residents where policies from Washington impact us, whether it's economic or otherwise,” he said.
The Tax Cut and Jobs Act goes into effect in the new year, but elected officials have already begun to take action. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo recently passed an “emergency executive action” plan that allows property owners to pay taxes ahead of the new legislation.
For full interview [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/hobokens-first-sikh-mayor-to-be-inaugurated).
U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez returns to court Monday to enter an expected not guilty plea to a conspiracy charge alleging he acted as an agent of the Egyptian government when he chaired the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Hamas militants on Friday freed two Americans -- a mother and her teenage daughter who had been held hostage in Gaza since militants rampaged through Israel two weeks ago, the Israeli government said.
A Texas judge has ruled that Infowars host Alex Jones cannot use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying more than $1.1 billion to families who sued over his conspiracy theories that the Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.
Former President Donald Trump was fined $5,000 on Friday after a disparaging social media post about a key court staffer in his New York civil fraud case was allowed to linger on his campaign website after the judge ordered it deleted.
Lawyer Kenneth Chesebro pleaded guilty to a felony on Friday just as jury selection was getting underway in his trial on charges accusing him of participating in efforts to overturn Donald Trump’s loss in the 2020 election in Georgia.