The prevalence of gun violence in the U.S., especially at its schools, has turned even some moderate legislators into staunch supporters of stricter gun control laws. Democrat Darren Soto, a representative from Florida’s 9th district, was one of them. “As a lawyer who got into the state legislature, I was always a strong advocate of our Constitutional rights,” the congressman told Cheddar on Thursday, the day after a gunman killed 17 students and teachers at a Parkland, Fla., high school. “But when Sandy Hook happened, I really got the full sense of the horror and the tragedy of these mass shootings. That was when I was in the Florida House. And from then, I really took a turn to fight for many different gun reforms.” Soto’s comments come as Nikolas Cruz was charged with 17 counts of murder for the Parkland shooting. The nineteen-year-old was reportedly part of a white supremacist group and had previously posted videos and social media messages showing him with a variety of guns and claiming he wanted to be a “professional school shooter.” President Trump addressed the shooting Thursday morning, calling for steps to address mental illness, but did not mention anything about gun control. That may not have come as a surprise to Soto, who spoke with Cheddar before the President made his statement. He said Republicans have blocked hearings on a number of measures sponsored by Democrats, from closing the gun show loophole to preventing those on the no-fly list from buying weapons to a ban on so-called bump stocks. And one of those bills might have prevented Wednesday's events. "How did this young man get guns as a troubled youth?" he asked. "I suspect it could have been this gun show loophole. It could have been a personal exchange. Therefore there is no background check and no ability to police folks who normally wouldn't get firearms getting them through this glaring loophole." For full interview [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/rep-darren-soto-d-fl-calls-for-action-after-another-unspeakable-tragedy).

Share:
More In Sports
NFL Suspends Atlanta Falcons' Calvin Ridley for 2022 Season for Betting on Games
One NFL player got caught gambling on his own team, and now it's going to cost him. The NFL announced Monday that Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley will be suspended for at least the entire 2022 season. The league said Ridley bet on NFL games during a five-day period last November. Frank Shwab, NFL and Betting Reporter at Yahoo Sports, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
OneOf Looks for Slam Dunk With Duke Basketball NFT Offerings
NFT platform OneOf has partnered with Duke University's athletic program to create a special men's basketball NFT collection ahead of Mike Krzyzewski's final home game as Duke head coach this Saturday. Matt Marino, VP of Sports & Lifestyle at OneOf, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell, where he takes viewers through the offerings available for collectors and his company's other pursuits in the sports collectibles space.
Major League Bummer: MLB Lockout Continues
Major League Baseball has officially canceled opening day after no deal was reached between the league and its players before Tuesday's deadline. The first two series of the 2022 season were set to begin on March 31, but the players rejected the owners' 'best offer.' David Salituro, sports writer for Fansided, joins Cheddar News to discuss.
MLB Cancels Games as Players, Owners Fail to End Lockout
It has now been two days since Major League Baseball moved to cancel opening day games for the upcoming season. The announcement from MLB commissioner Rob Manfred came during the league's ongoing work stoppage, just the ninth in MLB history. Owners voted unanimously on December 2, 2021 to enact a lockout after the collective bargaining agreement between the league and players expired. On March 1, 2022, following over a week of daily negotiations between the two sides, and three months of on and off negotiations, the league officially canceled the first two series of the regular season. Gabe Lacques, MLB reporter and baseball editor for USA Today Sports, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Most Lucrative NBA Player Props
Joe Ceraulo, Host of Pregame's NBA betting show and "Ceraulo Sports Talk", joins Cheddar Bets to share his favorite player props this season and to try his hand at topping the Pick 6 leaderboard. Sponsored by BetMGM
Locks in the NBA and NCAA Tonight
BetMGM Tonight host Trysta Krick joins Cheddar Bets to share what she's shying away from and hammering on tonight's slate before giving her Lock of the Night. Sponsored by BetMGM
Phil Mickelson Issues Apology After Backlash Over Comments About Saudi-Backed Golf League
Professional golfer Phil Mickelson issued an apology this week after facing backlash over comments he made in support of a golf tour backed by Saudi Arabia. The proposed golf league is called the Super Golf League and is funded by the Public Investment Fund, the financial arm of the Saudi government. Mickelson faced criticism after seeming to imply that he was willing to overlook the Middle Eastern country's human rights record in order to create a league that would rival the PGA Tour. David Salituro, PGA sportswriter for fansided.com, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Load More