*By Carlo Versano* It isn't exactly a [Qwikster](https://mashable.com/2011/09/19/qwikster-netflix-fail/#leGcIxfQf5qP) moment, but when Disney unveiled the name of its forthcoming OTT streaming service on Thursday, it didn't exactly blow anyone's hair back. And that's fine by Disney chief Bob Iger. "It's not surprising that Disney would use their Disney brand name," said BTIG media analyst Rich Greenfield. Disney is regularly [considered](http://brandfinance.com/news/press-releases/disney-sparkles-as-most-valuable-media-brand-of-the-year/) among the most valuable brands in the world ー why wouldn't they want the iconic name and logo to feature prominently in a new service? Even if the [plus](https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/10/17959316/google-plus-users-say-goodbye) suffix hasn't exactly touted a track record of success. (See: Google Plus.) Disney ($DIS) is clearly taking a cautious approach to its new direct-to-consumer product that it hopes to build into a Netflix ($NFLX) rival. The initial rollout is domestic in scope, and the company won't change its legacy film-release model in an attempt to flood the zone with new subscribers ("Frozen 2" will still have a theatrical run long before it shows up on Disney+). As always for a new media venture, content will be king. Greenfield said Disney is going to bank on its goodwill with kids and families at first. However, he said it will need to produce high-quality new offerings that leverage its blue-chip properties like Marvel and Star Wars and "make you want to subscribe" in order to get enough traction to even nip at the heels of Netflix ー which is on track to boast 170 million worldwide subscribers by the time Disney+ launches. So even if Disney yanks its current slate of films and shows from Netflix, as expected, the original programming is what will matter. When was the last time you heard someone say they subscribed to Netflix for its library of old films? The streaming giant has inoculated itself from that scenario by spending heavily on its own original content, assuming the time would come when its rivals would go it alone. Now that day has come, Netflix is investing [$8 billion](https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/netflix-original-spending-85-percent-1202809623/) in new content a year that it can lean on. "Reed Hastings is probably smiling so big this morning," Greenfield said. For full interview [click here](https://cheddar.com/videos/analyst-rich-greenfield-talks-disney-earnings-and-streaming-plans).

Share:
More In Business
‘Chainsaw Man’ anime film topples Springsteen biopic at the box office
A big-screen adaptation of the anime “Chainsaw Man” has topped the North American box office, beating a Springsteen biopic and “Black Phone 2.” The movie earned $17.25 million in the U.S. and Canada this weekend. “Black Phone 2” fell to second place with $13 million. Two new releases, the rom-com “Regretting You” and “Springsteen — Deliver Me From Nowhere,” earned $12.85 million and $9.1 million, respectively. “Chainsaw Man – The Movie: Reze Arc” is based on the manga series about a demon hunter. It's another win for Sony-owned Crunchyroll, which also released a “Demon Slayer” film last month that debuted to a record $70 million.
Flights to LAX halted due to air traffic controller shortage
The Federal Aviation Administration says flights departing for Los Angeles International Airport were halted briefly due to a staffing shortage at a Southern California air traffic facility. The FAA issued a temporary ground stop at one of the world’s busiest airports on Sunday morning soon after U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy predicted that travelers would see more flights delayed as the nation’s air traffic controllers work without pay during the federal government shutdown. The hold on planes taking off for LAX lasted an hour and 45 minutes and didn't appear to cause continued problems. The FAA said staffing shortages also delayed planes headed to Washington, Chicago and Newark, New Jersey on Sunday.
Load More