*By Colin Foley* Bungie, the famed developer of Halo and Destiny, has parted ways with parent company Activision-Blizzard. The industry-shaking fracture follows several leadership changes at Activision over the last several months, causing investors and gamers alike to wonder how the split will affect the gaming industry. Since Bungie's departure from the video game conglomerate last week, Activision ($ATVI) stock has dropped, sliding just below 7 percent on Friday. Adding insult to the company's injury, a group of investors has retained a class action law firm to probe claims that Activision committed securities fraud, according to a statement by the firm Pomerantz LLP. Bungie will retain full publishing rights to the MMO-Shooter series "Destiny" in a deal that marks the end of a 10-year contract that began in 2010 and allowed the company to launch its first post-Halo franchise after gaining independence from owner Microsoft ($MSFT). Reports have yet to confirm how exactly the deal will affect the future of Destiny 2, but Bungie insists that its plans for the franchise will remain unchanged. PC players, who access the game via the Blizzard-owned "Battle.net" can breathe easy, as the company has said, "we do not anticipate any disruption to our services or your gameplay experience." In a statement, Activision said: "Going forward, Bungie will own and develop the franchise, and Activision will increase its focus on owned IP and other projects. Activision and Bungie are committed to a seamless transition for the Destiny franchise and will continue to work closely together during the transition on behalf of the community of Destiny players around the world." In 2007, Bungie made a similar move when it severed ties with former owner Microsoft. In that case, the Xbox manufacturer retained the rights to the Halo franchise and established 343 studios to develop future titles. Originally, the deal called for four Destiny games and four expansions between 2013 and 2020. That delivery schedule shifted when the first game was delayed for nearly a full year, debuting in September 2014. It was followed by four expansions before Destiny 2 launched in September 2017. Although Bungie is no longer obligated to its parent company's schedule, it said it will "continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.” Bungie also reportedly has a new game in development, thanks to a $100 million investment from Chinese Internet company NetEase. At this stage, the question remains: what will an emancipated Bungie do next? Will we see Destiny 3?

Share:
More In Sports
With Super Bowl Over, What's New for Draftkings in 2022?
Coming off of the latest NFL season, Draftkings has plans for growth and new bettors to join its platform following what it saw as a record year of state legalization of sports betting and Super Bowl action. CEO Jason Robins joined Cheddar News to talk about what in store for the company in 2022, including labor issues leading to the postponement of the MLB's spring training games and the NCAA's March Madness. "There's a lot of really exciting stuff that happens in the first couple of rounds all the way through to the championship game. So typically we've seen incredible activity during March Madness on the betting side," Robins said.
PlayersTV CEO on New Athletes On Demand Sports Subscription Platform
PlayersTV is bringing sports viewers Athletes On Demand, a subscription platform to provide fans with thousands of hours of sports content from their favorite athletes. CEO Angela Bundrant joined Cheddar News to discuss the new rollout. "People can expect to receive content or buy into content on demand that comes from their favorite athletes," said Bundrant, listing star partners like the Phoenix Suns' Chris Paul and New Orleans Pelicans' C.J. McCollum.
Former Olympic Gold Medalist Scott Hamilton on Russian Figure Skater Doping Scandal
The 15-year-old Russian Olympic figure skater Kamila Valieva found herself at the center of a scandal after a positive test for a banned substance became public. Valieva fell out of gold contention in the women's free skate after falling, avoiding a potentially embarrassing situation, where a medal ceremony would have been nixed had she won. Scott Hamilton, the retired American figure skater and Olympic gold medalist in the 1984 Games, joined Cheddar to break down the scandal. “It’s a team competition and every member of the team participated in that score and hers should be disallowed”.
Last-Minute Winning Bets for the NBA Tonight
Alex Monaco, host of the “The Bettor Half Hour” on MSG Networks and the “Sports Gambling with Moneyline Monaco” podcast, joins Cheddar Bets to give his last-minute tips before tonight's slate of games starts. Sponsored by BetMGM
Richard Jefferson Previews All-Star Weekend
Richard Jefferson, host of the Road Trippin' podcast, NBA Today analyst, and NBA Champion, joins Cheddar Bets to break down All-Star Weekend festivities and to give his "Pick 6" for tonight. Sponsored by BetMGM
Load More