*By Colin Foley* Bungie, the famed developer of Halo and Destiny, has parted ways with parent company Activision-Blizzard. The industry-shaking fracture follows several leadership changes at Activision over the last several months, causing investors and gamers alike to wonder how the split will affect the gaming industry. Since Bungie's departure from the video game conglomerate last week, Activision ($ATVI) stock has dropped, sliding just below 7 percent on Friday. Adding insult to the company's injury, a group of investors has retained a class action law firm to probe claims that Activision committed securities fraud, according to a statement by the firm Pomerantz LLP. Bungie will retain full publishing rights to the MMO-Shooter series "Destiny" in a deal that marks the end of a 10-year contract that began in 2010 and allowed the company to launch its first post-Halo franchise after gaining independence from owner Microsoft ($MSFT). Reports have yet to confirm how exactly the deal will affect the future of Destiny 2, but Bungie insists that its plans for the franchise will remain unchanged. PC players, who access the game via the Blizzard-owned "Battle.net" can breathe easy, as the company has said, "we do not anticipate any disruption to our services or your gameplay experience." In a statement, Activision said: "Going forward, Bungie will own and develop the franchise, and Activision will increase its focus on owned IP and other projects. Activision and Bungie are committed to a seamless transition for the Destiny franchise and will continue to work closely together during the transition on behalf of the community of Destiny players around the world." In 2007, Bungie made a similar move when it severed ties with former owner Microsoft. In that case, the Xbox manufacturer retained the rights to the Halo franchise and established 343 studios to develop future titles. Originally, the deal called for four Destiny games and four expansions between 2013 and 2020. That delivery schedule shifted when the first game was delayed for nearly a full year, debuting in September 2014. It was followed by four expansions before Destiny 2 launched in September 2017. Although Bungie is no longer obligated to its parent company's schedule, it said it will "continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.” Bungie also reportedly has a new game in development, thanks to a $100 million investment from Chinese Internet company NetEase. At this stage, the question remains: what will an emancipated Bungie do next? Will we see Destiny 3?

Share:
More In Sports
PGA Tour Player Suspensions in LIV Golf Event Is About 'Threat to the Future of Golf'
The PGA Tour has announced that it will suspend players that are competing in the LIV Golf event that teed off today. At least 17 players, including names like Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, and Sergio Garcia are banned from the PGA Tour competition. Hilary Fordwich, a business analyst and golf expert, joined Cheddar News to discuss why the PGA had to go this route. This is a threat to the future of golf for them, and there's been many contentions about them not being fair and that this is vindictive," she said. "Don't forget, of course, they represent sort of a monopoly in the history of golf. So you've got two sides to this story. You've got those the purists, those that feel that golf should only be a certain way and that there are only these limited events that the PGA puts on. And then you've got other people who are saying … this is all about money"
Pressure to Settle $1 Billion Claim From Nassar Survivors Against FBI
Survivors of Larry Nassar, including Olympian Simone Biles, are seeking $1 billion in damages from the FBI due to its failure to investigate the former gymnastics team doctor convicted of committing years of serial sexual abuse of minors. Jack Queen, a senior reporter at Law360, joined Cheddar News to break down the legal grounds of this case. "This is one of the biggest black eyes that the Bureau has faced in generations, quite frankly, and the FBI has taken full responsibility and admitted that it completely botched this investigation," he said. "So, there's a lot of pressure to settle."
Gymnasts Seek $1 Billion From FBI Over Larry Nassar Case
The victims from the USA gymnastics sexual abuse scandal continue to seek justice. Survivors of Larry Nassar are seeking more than one-billion dollars from the FBI for failing to stop the convicted sports doctor when the agency first received allegations. According to a report released by the Justice Department's Inspector General, FBI agents knew in July of 2015 that Nassar was accused of abusing gymnasts; however, Nassar wasn't arrested until December of 2016. The group that filed the claim includes Olympic medalist Simone Biles and around 90 other women. Louise Radnofsky, sports reporter at The Wall Street Journal, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Saudi-Backed LIV Golf Tour Begins With Dustin Johnson & Phil Mickelson, Without Tiger Woods
A controversial professional golf tour backed by Saudi Arabia tees off on Thursday. Today, two-time Major winner Dustin Johnson announced he's resigned from the PGA Tour ahead of headlining the Saudi-backed tour, called the LIV Golf Invitation Series. The announcement comes as the PGA tour has threatened disciplinary action for its golfers who take part in the Saudi golf league event, which will also feature notable golf stars like Phil Mickelson and Sergio Garcia; however, LIV Golf's CEO, Greg Norman, told The Washington Post that Tiger Woods rejected a contract worth 'high nine digits' to play in the tour. Chris Bumbaca, reporter for USA Today Sports, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Re-Wiring After a Career in the NFL
Marques Ogden, former NFL offensive lineman turned author and celebrity success coach, joins Cheddar to discuss his career transition after his NFL playing days and how he overcame a low point to prioritize family and re-shape his life as a success coach.
Load More