*By Colin Foley* Bungie, the famed developer of Halo and Destiny, has parted ways with parent company Activision-Blizzard. The industry-shaking fracture follows several leadership changes at Activision over the last several months, causing investors and gamers alike to wonder how the split will affect the gaming industry. Since Bungie's departure from the video game conglomerate last week, Activision ($ATVI) stock has dropped, sliding just below 7 percent on Friday. Adding insult to the company's injury, a group of investors has retained a class action law firm to probe claims that Activision committed securities fraud, according to a statement by the firm Pomerantz LLP. Bungie will retain full publishing rights to the MMO-Shooter series "Destiny" in a deal that marks the end of a 10-year contract that began in 2010 and allowed the company to launch its first post-Halo franchise after gaining independence from owner Microsoft ($MSFT). Reports have yet to confirm how exactly the deal will affect the future of Destiny 2, but Bungie insists that its plans for the franchise will remain unchanged. PC players, who access the game via the Blizzard-owned "Battle.net" can breathe easy, as the company has said, "we do not anticipate any disruption to our services or your gameplay experience." In a statement, Activision said: "Going forward, Bungie will own and develop the franchise, and Activision will increase its focus on owned IP and other projects. Activision and Bungie are committed to a seamless transition for the Destiny franchise and will continue to work closely together during the transition on behalf of the community of Destiny players around the world." In 2007, Bungie made a similar move when it severed ties with former owner Microsoft. In that case, the Xbox manufacturer retained the rights to the Halo franchise and established 343 studios to develop future titles. Originally, the deal called for four Destiny games and four expansions between 2013 and 2020. That delivery schedule shifted when the first game was delayed for nearly a full year, debuting in September 2014. It was followed by four expansions before Destiny 2 launched in September 2017. Although Bungie is no longer obligated to its parent company's schedule, it said it will "continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.” Bungie also reportedly has a new game in development, thanks to a $100 million investment from Chinese Internet company NetEase. At this stage, the question remains: what will an emancipated Bungie do next? Will we see Destiny 3?

Share:
More In Sports
Bills Win First Game After Damar Hamlin's Cardiac Arrest
Bills players held up three fingers in recognition of defensive back Damar Hamlin, who wears the number 3 on his jersey, as the crowd chanted "Hamlin! Hamlin!" Hamlin is recovering in a Cincinnati hospital after going into cardiac arrest at a game on Monday.
Shaq on Stephen Curry: 'Greatest Shooter of All Time'
Cheddar's Kristen Scholer caught up with all-time NBA great Shaquille O'Neal in his hometown of Newark, NJ, working with Icy Hot to repair rundown basketball courts around the country. The Hall of Famer also spoke about the current NBA finals between the Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors and had a lot of praise for the Warrior's guard Stephen Curry. "He's the greatest shooter of all time. I had a conversation with Stephen A. [Smith], where does he rank? He's a special player. He has his own category," Shaq said.
PGA Suspends Golfers In Saudi-Backed League
The PGA has suspended 17 golfers, including Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson, who are competing in a Saudi-backed golf event outside of London. In a memo, commissioner Jay Monahan said "these players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons", announcing they are ineligible to participate on the PGA tour or any other tours it sanctions. Hugh Kellenberger, Senior Managing Editor at the Athletic, breaks down the controversy, and what might happen next.
Christie’s to Offer Rare 'Legacy of the GOAT' Michael Jordan Memorabilia
Auction house Christie's will be presenting "Legacy of the GOAT," which will include a rare Michael Jordan signed rookie card and sneakers. Caitlin Donovan, the vice president of Christie's handbags and accessories department. joined Cheddar News to discuss the special memorabilia selection for the NBA great. "He's been a global phenomenon, so he's really shaped '90s culture and streetwear culture," she said. "And we see bidders from every pocket in the world."
The Second Annual 'Catch a Clean Wave' Initiative
Kona Brewing Co., pro surfer Anna Gudauskus, and surf photographer Sarah Lee are embarking on an 1,500+ mile beach cleanup down the East Coast. Gudauskus and Lee join Cheddar News to discuss the initiative.
Load More