A Southwest Airlines executive apologized for the company's holiday season meltdown in front of a panel of senators on Thursday.
The airline company canceled nearly 17,000 flights and stranded more than two million customers between December 21 and December 31 following a winter storm, far more than any other airline. The Senate Commerce Committee questioned executives in a hearing that focused on those disruptions.
"Let me be clear, we messed up," Southwest Chief Operating Officer Andrew Watterson told senators. "I want to sincerely and humbly apologize to those impacted by the disruption,"
"In hindsight, we did not have enough winter operational resiliency," Watterson explained.
The Southwest executive assured the committee that the company has been working to improve its systems.
"We are doing a system-wide review of our preparedness for winter operations and will implement any measures necessary to mitigate the risk of an event like this occurring in the future," Watterson said.
The company has budgeted $1.3 billion for 2023 investments, upgrades, and maintenance of their IT systems.
Democratic Senator Ed Markey, unsatisfied with the executive's explanation, demanded the airline company give a "cash hardship payment" to those affected.
Some Republicans, however, were more sympathetic with the airline company.
"I've had multiple conversations with senior leadership at Southwest. I'm confident they understand it was an epic screw-up and that they are committed to doing everything possible to prevent its recurrence," Sen.Ted Cruz of Texas said.
Watterson testified the airline had reimbursed 273,406 customers, and that every impacted customer had been emailed flyer points, along with an apology.
But, the airline company would not pay customers directly for their inconvenience unless it was "reimbursement of a flight they took in the disruption," Watterson said.
The U.S. Transportation Department is also investigating Southwest for its flight scheduling throughout the disruption.
Yair Nechmad, Nayax CEO, joins Cheddar Reveals to discuss the future of cashless payments, and how cashless payments give retailers a competitive edge and allow merchants to scale business.
Bentley aims to become end-to-end carbon neutral by 2030. The luxury car brand has outlined steps to achieve this goal, including switching its entire model range to plug-in hybrid or battery electric vehicles by 2026 and become fully electric by 2030. Christophe Georges, president & CEO of Bentley Americas, joined Cheddar to discuss this new pledge and what consumers can expect from future models.
PepsiCo has announced a new goal to advance food security for 50 million people by 2030. To help achieve this goal, the company is partnering with local communities around the world to expand access to nutritious foods, increase productivity and incomes of small-scale farmers. Jon Banner, president of the PepsiCo Foundation, joined Cheddar to discuss this new pledge and his argument for why the world has to rethink the way it produces and distributes food.
ORIGYN Foundation, an NFT authentication start-up based in Switzerland, has secured $20 million in funding from investors like Paris Hilton, Bill Ackman, and Polychain Capital, among others. The non-profit, now valued at $300 million, uses AI technology to verify non-fungible tokens across art, collectibles, digital media and luxury goods. Daniel Haudenschild, CEO of ORIGYN Entreprise, discusses how the money will help put power back into the hands of artists, creators, and collectors.
With millions of Americans set to host Thanksgiving this year, shoppers can expect to pay more at grocery stores, with the price of a thanksgiving meal up 14% from last year. According to the USDA, the average price of an 8- to 16-pound frozen turkey is up 21% from a year ago. Jay Jandrain, CEO, Butterball, joined Cheddar’s Opening Bell to discuss how his company is being affected by supply chain challenges and rising prices.
After being plagued by supply chain delays for the better part of a year and a half, officials at California ports have reversed course on fines for cargo containers left at docks for extended periods, citing an easing of the bottlenecks at Los Angeles and Long Beach.