A Southwest Airlines executive apologized for the company's holiday season meltdown in front of a panel of senators on Thursday.

The airline company canceled nearly 17,000 flights and stranded more than two million customers between December 21 and December 31 following a winter storm, far more than any other airline. The Senate Commerce Committee questioned executives in a hearing that focused on those disruptions.

"Let me be clear, we messed up," Southwest Chief Operating Officer Andrew Watterson told senators. "I want to sincerely and humbly apologize to those impacted by the disruption,"

"In hindsight, we did not have enough winter operational resiliency," Watterson explained.

The Southwest executive assured the committee that the company has been working to improve its systems.

"We are doing a system-wide review of our preparedness for winter operations and will implement any measures necessary to mitigate the risk of an event like this occurring in the future," Watterson said.

The company has budgeted $1.3 billion for 2023 investments, upgrades, and maintenance of their IT systems.

Democratic Senator Ed Markey, unsatisfied with the executive's explanation, demanded the airline company give a "cash hardship payment" to those affected.

Some Republicans, however, were more sympathetic with the airline company.

"I've had multiple conversations with senior leadership at Southwest. I'm confident they understand it was an epic screw-up and that they are committed to doing everything possible to prevent its recurrence," Sen.Ted Cruz of Texas said.

Watterson testified the airline had reimbursed 273,406 customers, and that every impacted customer had been emailed flyer points, along with an apology.

But, the airline company would not pay customers directly for their inconvenience unless it was "reimbursement of a flight they took in the disruption," Watterson said. 

The U.S. Transportation Department is also investigating Southwest for its flight scheduling throughout the disruption.

Share:
More In Business
COVID-19 Omicron Variant Creates Ongoing Hurdles for Businesses
As the COVID-19 omicron variant continues to spread, thousands of flights have been canceled, restaurants and bars have been forced to re-adapt to outdoor and take-out dining, and consumers are canceling their travel and other plans. This all comes as the CDC recently updated its quarantine guidelines for people who test positive, slashing the isolation period from 10 days to five. That change was pushed by the airline industry as it continues to struggle with labor shortages. How will the variant continue to impact businesses large and small? Laura Reathaford, Partner at Lathrop GPM, and Tom Sacco, CEO, President, and Chief Happiness Officer of Iowa-based Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream, join Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss employment law issues related to worker safety during COVID-19 outbreaks, and how small businesses are dealing with the latest wave, respectively.
Load More