Microsoft's planned $69 billion purchase of video game company Activision Blizzard was blocked by a federal judge Tuesday, giving more time for an antitrust review of the deal.

U.S. District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley in San Francisco ruled in support of a temporary restraining order sought by the Federal Trade Commission that will stop Microsoft from closing the deal.

In a court filing Monday, the commission had sought both a restraining order and injunction to stop Microsoft’s acquisition of the California company behind hit games such as Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crush Saga.

Microsoft, maker of the Xbox game system, has spent months trying to win worldwide approval for the merger. While a number of countries have approved the acquisition, regulators for two important economies — the U.S. and the U.K. — have taken action to stop it, arguing it could suppress competition in the video game market.

The judge said her order temporarily blocking the deal “is necessary to maintain the status quo” while the Federal Trade Commission's legal cases against it are still pending. The bar for issuing an urgent restraining order is lower than it is to issue a preliminary injunction blocking the deal. A hearing on the commission's request for an injunction is set for June 22.

The trade commission already took Microsoft to court last year to block the merger, but that case was brought to the U.S. agency’s in-house judge in a trial set to start Aug. 2.

The commission said it brought its case to a federal court this week because it was concerned that Microsoft was trying to imminently close the deal before the trial begins, which would make it "difficult, if not impossible” to reverse course if the acquisition was later found to be illegal.

Microsoft said in a written statement late Tuesday that “accelerating the legal process in the U.S will ultimately bring more choice and competition to the gaming market."

“A temporary restraining order makes sense until we can receive a decision from the Court, which is moving swiftly,” the company said.

Share:
More In Business
Lime Connect Team Wins Goldman Sachs' Analyst Impact Fund
Goldman Sachs is getting into the holiday giving spirit with its sixth annual Analyst Impact Fund competition. The Shark-Tank style contest gives Junior Analysts the chance to pitch a charity of their choice to senior leadership, with the winner being granted $250,000 to donate to their chosen non-profit. The team representing Lime Connect, the world's largest network of people with disabilities, has taken home this year's top prize. For more on this, Jim Esposito, Goldman Sachs Co-Head of the Investment Banking Division, and Julian Sanchez, one of this year's winners, joined Cheddar Movers.
Markets Bounce Back After Omicron Scare
Wall Street saw major gains Monday, with the Dow Jones jumping nearly 650 points, the S&P 500 moving higher by 1.1% and the Nasdaq by .9%. Ross Mayfield, Investment Strategy Analyst at Baird, breaks down why investor concerns about the Omicron variant may have been a bit too preemptive.
Biden Boom, Jussie Guilty & Love, Hate, Ate
Carlo and Baker wrap up the week talking about the Biden economic boom that no one seems to notice, a verdict in the Jussie Smollett case, the first Starbucks union in America and the pleasures of the "dude nod."
Load More