Burdened by over five months of civil unrest, Hong Kong has fallen into a recession, the city's financial secretary said Sunday.
"The economy has entered a technical recession, and the negative growth rate has significantly expanded," Secretary Paul Chan wrote in a blog post. "The blow to our economy is comprehensive."
Chan added that official quarterly GDP figures would be released Thursday, but that preliminary analysis shows consecutive economic contractions. It will be "extremely difficult," he wrote, for Hong Kong to reach its previously forecasted growth rate.
The bleak report coincided with chaotic demonstrations over the weekend that saw shops set ablaze and petrol bombs thrown at police, who responded heavily with water cannons and tear gas. In a statement Monday, police said that protesters overstepped the "bottom line of any civilized society." Unrest in Hong Kong, which first broke in June in opposition to a proposed extradition bill, has escalated significantly in recent months as residents continue to protest China's growing influence over the city and call for more democratic rights.
Chan on Sunday called on demonstrators to keep order and allow industry and commerce to operate freely. "Our society and the economy need to take a breather and need to get back on the road," he wrote.
<i>Police and protesters in Hong Kong on Sunday. Photo Credit: JEROME FAVRE/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock</i>
As a Chinese special administrative region since 1997, Hong Kong has enjoyed relative autonomy from Beijing in recent decades and has grown into one of the world's most significant financial and commercial hubs. In 2018, Hong Kong was home to the highest number of ultrawealthy ($30 million or more net worth) residents of any city in the world, according to Wealth-X's annual report. New York surpassed Hong Kong just slightly in 2019.
Earlier this month, Hong Kong's richest resident, Li Ka-shing, donated 1 billion Hong Kong dollars ($128 million) to support local business affected by the city's "unprecedented challenges."
"I hope that HK$1 billion donation will spark more support for the embattled [Small and Medium Enterprises]," Li said in a statement. "All suggestions are welcome and let's work together during these difficult times."
The Hong Kong government has also implemented a series of measures to help alleviate financial pains. Secretary Chan announced earlier this month a 19 billion Hong Kong dollar ($2.4 billion) relief package, which included significant rent reductions.
In announcing the recession Sunday, Chan cited plummeting tourism and retail sales figures. The number of visitors to Hong Kong fell by 37 percent in August and September, and by 50 percent in the first half of October. Tourism's decline constitutes an "emergency," Chan wrote. The decline of retail sales volume fell by 13.1 percent in July to 25.3 percent in August.
"We will continue to closely monitor the external economic situation and the political and economic situation in Hong Kong and try our best to further study the relief measures," Chan added in his Sunday blog post.
Investors, however, seem to be sticking with Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Stock Exchange's Hang Seng Index remains up more than 4 percent year-to-date.
Gerald Johnson, Executive VP, Global Manufacturing and Sustainability at General Motors, joins Cheddar News to break down what Factory ZERO signifies for GM's all-electric future and why the auto manufacturer will be a leader in the growing EV industry.
According to the U.S. Labor Department, a record 4.4-million people quit their job in September, with data showing there are seven unemployed workers for every ten job openings.
However, Americans aren't just quitting their jobs for more suitable ones, many are embracing their entrepreneurial side, leaving to start their own business. Dick Schulze, founder of Best Buy joined Cheddar's Opening Bell to discuss.
Airlines are gearing up for a busy winter season as they continue to rebound from the pandemic. But jet fuel prices combined with the ongoing labor shortage could put a damper on those holiday gains. Christian Vernet, president of La Compagnie, the only all business class airline in the world, joined Cheddar for an update on the state of the airline industry and how it's dealing with the surge in demand after the U.S. reopened its border to international visitors.
Cadillac is launching its first ever all-electric vehicle. The 2023 Lyriq boasts an estimated 300 mile range, $60,000 dollar starting price, a 33-inch advanced LED display, among many other features. The rollout comes as Cadillac has posted record third quarter global sales and plans to become all-electric by 2030. Rory Harvey, vice president of Cadillac, joined Cheddar to discuss what drivers can expect from the Lyriq, and how the brand has been able to deal with the ongoing chip shortage.
Octavio Marenzi, Founder & CEO of Opimas, discusses how labor participation is directly correlated with wage pressures and why supply chain issues are having little effect on earnings from the retail sector.
Philip Palumbo, Founder, CEO & Chief Investment Officer of Palumbo Wealth Management, discusses why wage pressure could impact earnings going forward and talks about the valuation mismatch within the tech sector.
Adam Coons, Portfolio Manager at Winthrop Capital Management, explains why supply chain constraints are the biggest risk to markets and which sectors are poised to outperform if interest rates rise.
Macy's reported a Q3 earnings beat and raked in $5.4 billion in revenue. The department store giant also said it is equipped to handle the expected holiday shopping rush. The company also announced it would be launching its own curated digital marketplace in 2022.
Zumba Fitness CEO Alberto Perlman joined Cheddar's "Between Bells" to talk about the rise in demand for in-person training after the company saw a 55 percent jump in scheduled classes over Q3. Perlman noted that while demand for in-person training is increasing, the pandemic exposed a market for at-home sessions that will likely persist even after it ends. "The world is becoming hybrid, and people are finding ways to fit in two workouts a week at home and then three workouts at the gym. And our instructors are perfectly positioned to adapt to those environments," he said.
Sting is the latest recording artist looking to unload his music catalog — for a staggering $250 million. Universal Music Group is said to be at the top of the list of suitors but the pop star's hits could still end up remaining with Sony.