Burdened by over five months of civil unrest, Hong Kong has fallen into a recession, the city's financial secretary said Sunday.

"The economy has entered a technical recession, and the negative growth rate has significantly expanded," Secretary Paul Chan wrote in a blog post. "The blow to our economy is comprehensive."

Chan added that official quarterly GDP figures would be released Thursday, but that preliminary analysis shows consecutive economic contractions. It will be "extremely difficult," he wrote, for Hong Kong to reach its previously forecasted growth rate.

The bleak report coincided with chaotic demonstrations over the weekend that saw shops set ablaze and petrol bombs thrown at police, who responded heavily with water cannons and tear gas. In a statement Monday, police said that protesters overstepped the "bottom line of any civilized society." Unrest in Hong Kong, which first broke in June in opposition to a proposed extradition bill, has escalated significantly in recent months as residents continue to protest China's growing influence over the city and call for more democratic rights.

Chan on Sunday called on demonstrators to keep order and allow industry and commerce to operate freely. "Our society and the economy need to take a breather and need to get back on the road," he wrote.

<i>Police and protesters in Hong Kong on Sunday. Photo Credit: JEROME FAVRE/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock</i>

As a Chinese special administrative region since 1997, Hong Kong has enjoyed relative autonomy from Beijing in recent decades and has grown into one of the world's most significant financial and commercial hubs. In 2018, Hong Kong was home to the highest number of ultrawealthy ($30 million or more net worth) residents of any city in the world, according to Wealth-X's annual report. New York surpassed Hong Kong just slightly in 2019.

Earlier this month, Hong Kong's richest resident, Li Ka-shing, donated 1 billion Hong Kong dollars ($128 million) to support local business affected by the city's "unprecedented challenges."

"I hope that HK$1 billion donation will spark more support for the embattled [Small and Medium Enterprises]," Li said in a statement. "All suggestions are welcome and let's work together during these difficult times."

The Hong Kong government has also implemented a series of measures to help alleviate financial pains. Secretary Chan announced earlier this month a 19 billion Hong Kong dollar ($2.4 billion) relief package, which included significant rent reductions.

In announcing the recession Sunday, Chan cited plummeting tourism and retail sales figures. The number of visitors to Hong Kong fell by 37 percent in August and September, and by 50 percent in the first half of October. Tourism's decline constitutes an "emergency," Chan wrote. The decline of retail sales volume fell by 13.1 percent in July to 25.3 percent in August.

"We will continue to closely monitor the external economic situation and the political and economic situation in Hong Kong and try our best to further study the relief measures," Chan added in his Sunday blog post.

Investors, however, seem to be sticking with Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Stock Exchange's Hang Seng Index remains up more than 4 percent year-to-date.

Share:
More In Business
Stocks Close Mostly Lower; Dow Suffers 500-Point Drop
Michele Schneider, Partner and Director of Trading Research & Education for MarketGauge.com, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell, where she says the spread of the Omicron variant and Jerome Powell's comments following the latest Fed decision are spooking investors heading into the weekend.
New Space Race Takes Form as Private Companies Team Up to Build Space Stations
Marshall Smith, Senior Vice President of Space Systems at Nanoracks and Kirk Shireman, Vice President of the Lunar Exploration Campaign at Lockheed Martin join Future of Space: Humankind's Leap Forward to discuss upcoming plans for developing their Starlab commercial space station after being awarded a $160 million contract by NASA.
Latest "Spiderman" Installment Saves Theater Stocks, But is it Enough Amid COVID-19 Variant?
Both AMC and Cinemark shares rose Friday after a pandemic-era record number of moviegoers attended the 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' opening night. The movie is expected to pull at least $150 million in box office sales opening weekend. But is this momentum enough for theater chains as the COVID-19 omicron variant poses new threats? Daniel Loria, Editorial Director at Boxoffice PRO, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Future of Space: Humankind's Leap Forward
The billionaire space race took off in 2021, making major strides in space tourism. That growth is only expected to skyrocket in the next year, as the government and private institutions and companies look to shape the final frontier's exploration. Cheddar News dives into the biggest moments of the year in space, and what comes next for space travel and tourism.
Delta CFO on Airline Mask Mandates, International Travel & Bringing Back Services
While other CEOs of Southwest and American Airlines questioned current mask mandates in front of Congress, Delta CFO Dan Janki in his exclusive interview with Cheddar, was more cautious about doing away with the safety measure. "We're right now at the beginning of another wave," he said. "This is probably not the time to change mask policy." Janki also discussed his airline's future in loyalty program pricing, international travel, meal services, and stock pricing.
Load More