By Danica Kirka

The British Museum said Wednesday that a member of its staff has been dismissed after items dating back as far as the 15th century B.C. were found to be missing, stolen or damaged.

The museum said it has also ordered an independent review of security and a ‘‘vigorous program to recover the missing items.″

The stolen artifacts include gold jewelry and gems of semi-precious stones and glass dating from the 15th century B.C. to the 19th century A.D. Most were small items kept in a storeroom and none had been on display recently, the museum said.

“Our priority is now threefold: first, to recover the stolen items; second, to find out what, if anything, could have been done to stop this; and third, to do whatever it takes, with investment in security and collection records, to make sure this doesn’t happen again,″ said George Osborne, the museum’s chair.

“This incident only reinforces the case for the reimagination of the museum we have embarked upon," Osborne said.

The museum said legal action would be taken against the dismissed staff member and that the matter was under investigation by London’s Metropolitan Police Service.

The 264-year-old British Museum is a major London tourist attraction, drawing visitors from around the world who come to see a vast collection of artifacts ranging from the Rosetta Stone that unlocked the language of ancient Egypt to scrolls bearing 12th century Chinese poetry and masks created by the indigenous people of Canada.

But the museum has also attracted controversy because it has resisted calls from communities around the world to return items of historical significance that were acquired during the era of the British Empire. The most famous of these disputes include marble carvings from the Parthenon in Greece and the Benin bronzes from west Africa.

Hartwig Fischer, the director of the British Museum, apologized and said the institution was determined to put things right.

“This is a highly unusual incident,'' said Fischer said. “I know I speak for all colleagues when I say that we take the safeguarding of all the items in our care extremely seriously.''

Share:
More In Culture
If You're in the Path of Michael, Leave Now
Hurricane Michael strengthened into a monster Category 4 storm overnight, tracking for a Wednesday afternoon landfall near Panama Beach, Fla. Joel Myers, founder and president of AccuWeather, explained the specific dangers of this storm for the southeast.
Aston Martin CMO: We Have No Interest in Making Cheaper Cars
As Aston Martin stock stumbles in the days following its IPO, the British luxury automaker is not interested in expanding its potential market with less expensive "entry-level" cars. CMO Simon Sproule said the company is focused on new electric models and a forthcoming SUV. And they will be expensive.
Utah's Medical Pot Ballot Has Support From Mormon Church
Utah is one of four states with a medical marijuana initiative on the ballot next month. But Republican State Senate President Wayne Niederhauser said so-called Prop 2 probably goes to far and a separate, bipartisan bill to legalize medical use with some restrictions, is a more measured approach.
Florida Prepares for Hurricane Michael Landfall
Hurricane Michael has strengthened to Category 2 hurricane as of Tuesday and could ramp up to Category 3 by the time it makes landfall in Florida Wednesday. Eric Holthaus, meteorologist and writer for Grist, said the storm is likely to be the worst to hit the Panhandle in decades.
Why Is Silicon Valley Shunning Juul?
As VC funds shovel money into start-ups, they have noticeably stayed away from Juul, even as it exploded in growth and catapulted to become the most valuable vape brand. Erin Griffith, correspondent for the New York Times, said investors appear to be taking a moral stand, even as they simultaneously invest in other nicotine-delivery products.
Google Kills Google+ in Wake of Security Vulnerability
The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday that Google had exposed over 500,000 Google+ users' data and failed to alert authorities. The company ultimately said it would shut down the consumer version of the social network. Douglas MacMillan, the reporter who broke the story for the Journal, said Google's handling of the information is causing a lot of speculation about the tech giant's business practices.
Load More