By Danica Kirka

The British Museum said Wednesday that a member of its staff has been dismissed after items dating back as far as the 15th century B.C. were found to be missing, stolen or damaged.

The museum said it has also ordered an independent review of security and a ‘‘vigorous program to recover the missing items.″

The stolen artifacts include gold jewelry and gems of semi-precious stones and glass dating from the 15th century B.C. to the 19th century A.D. Most were small items kept in a storeroom and none had been on display recently, the museum said.

“Our priority is now threefold: first, to recover the stolen items; second, to find out what, if anything, could have been done to stop this; and third, to do whatever it takes, with investment in security and collection records, to make sure this doesn’t happen again,″ said George Osborne, the museum’s chair.

“This incident only reinforces the case for the reimagination of the museum we have embarked upon," Osborne said.

The museum said legal action would be taken against the dismissed staff member and that the matter was under investigation by London’s Metropolitan Police Service.

The 264-year-old British Museum is a major London tourist attraction, drawing visitors from around the world who come to see a vast collection of artifacts ranging from the Rosetta Stone that unlocked the language of ancient Egypt to scrolls bearing 12th century Chinese poetry and masks created by the indigenous people of Canada.

But the museum has also attracted controversy because it has resisted calls from communities around the world to return items of historical significance that were acquired during the era of the British Empire. The most famous of these disputes include marble carvings from the Parthenon in Greece and the Benin bronzes from west Africa.

Hartwig Fischer, the director of the British Museum, apologized and said the institution was determined to put things right.

“This is a highly unusual incident,'' said Fischer said. “I know I speak for all colleagues when I say that we take the safeguarding of all the items in our care extremely seriously.''

Share:
More In Culture
How Activision Uses 'Call of Duty' to Raise Funds for Vets
The Call of Duty Endowment is trying to help 50,000 veterans find high-quality jobs, an attempt to give back to those who inspire the hit game. The program's director, Dan Goldenberg, praised gamemaker Activision Blizzard for committing to solve such a difficult problem.
Aaron Eckhart Is Part of TV's Newest Royal Family
Aaron Eckhart, known for playing Harvey Dent in "The Dark Knight," spoke with Cheddar about his upcoming role in "The Romanoffs," Amazon's newest original series from Matthew Weiner, the creator of Mad Men.
As White House Waffles on Saudi Response, Businesses Step Up
The alleged murder of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi has major corporations rethinking their involvement in Saudi Arabia, even as President Trump avoids taking a stance. Jeanne Whalen, a reporter for the Washington Post, said this could be destructive to the Saudis' effort to diversify their economy as they move away from oil.
The Instagram Account Demystifying Venture Capital
Venture capitalist Jenny Gyllander wants to help people understand exactly what her industry is all about. So she started an Instagram account called Thingtester, which reviews products from both a consumer and investor standpoint.
Harvard's Todd Rose: Success Comes From Fulfillment, Not Money
Harvard researcher Todd Rose, in his new book "Dark Horse," charts the unlikely paths to success of some of our greatest innovators and leaders. What he found is a group of people who prioritize their own personal fulfillment over traditional status indicators like money or power.
Boutique Fitness Studio Solidcore: We're For Sale
Anne Mahlum isn't mincing words: her start-up is for sale. The founder and CEO of Solidcore, the latest boutique fitness studio with an NYC flagship, says she's expanding the business with an eye on a sale within five years.
Load More