By Danica Kirka

The British Museum said Wednesday that a member of its staff has been dismissed after items dating back as far as the 15th century B.C. were found to be missing, stolen or damaged.

The museum said it has also ordered an independent review of security and a ‘‘vigorous program to recover the missing items.″

The stolen artifacts include gold jewelry and gems of semi-precious stones and glass dating from the 15th century B.C. to the 19th century A.D. Most were small items kept in a storeroom and none had been on display recently, the museum said.

“Our priority is now threefold: first, to recover the stolen items; second, to find out what, if anything, could have been done to stop this; and third, to do whatever it takes, with investment in security and collection records, to make sure this doesn’t happen again,″ said George Osborne, the museum’s chair.

“This incident only reinforces the case for the reimagination of the museum we have embarked upon," Osborne said.

The museum said legal action would be taken against the dismissed staff member and that the matter was under investigation by London’s Metropolitan Police Service.

The 264-year-old British Museum is a major London tourist attraction, drawing visitors from around the world who come to see a vast collection of artifacts ranging from the Rosetta Stone that unlocked the language of ancient Egypt to scrolls bearing 12th century Chinese poetry and masks created by the indigenous people of Canada.

But the museum has also attracted controversy because it has resisted calls from communities around the world to return items of historical significance that were acquired during the era of the British Empire. The most famous of these disputes include marble carvings from the Parthenon in Greece and the Benin bronzes from west Africa.

Hartwig Fischer, the director of the British Museum, apologized and said the institution was determined to put things right.

“This is a highly unusual incident,'' said Fischer said. “I know I speak for all colleagues when I say that we take the safeguarding of all the items in our care extremely seriously.''

Share:
More In Culture
'Springsteen On Broadway' Director Thom Zimny: How He Brought The Boss to Netflix
After 236 sold-out Broadway performances, Bruce Springsteen is still "Born to Run"ー all the way to Netflix. Thom Zimny, the Emmy Award-winning producer and director of "Springsteen on Broadway," told Cheddar on Monday that he didn't just want to retell Springsteen's story, but "create a film that captured this magical thing ー the theatrical space."
Two Studies Show Dramatic Increase in Teen Vaping, and Its Related Health Risks
A study released on Monday found a dramatic increase in vaping among teenagers ー after a second study found that the increasingly popular habit comes with not-insignificant health risks. "Vaping appears to be less harmful than smoking, but then again smoking kills half of the people who do it long-term. So, again, it's a low bar to be safer than smoking," Rachel Becker, a reporter with the Verge, told Cheddar on Monday.
Cargo Expands Commerce in Ride-Hails Through Venmo Partnership for Payments
Cargo is essentially an in-car vending machine ー a box containing snacks and personal items for purchase installed on the center console of some Uber and Lyft vehicles. According to CEO Jeff Cripe, since so many riders were dividing their Uber and Lyft fares with Venmo, it made sense to make Venmo the payment option for their in-car purchases. Now, Venmo-happy millennials can purchase Cargo items through the app during their rides.
New York Gov. Cuomo Calls for Fast Timeline to Cannabis Legalization
Not only has New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo reversed his stance on marijuana, but he's also expediting his timeline for legalization. According to Joseph Spector, the Albany bureau chief for USA Today, the Cuomo committed to an accelerated schedule on Monday when he charted the agenda for his first 100 days in office.
WillCalled: The New 'Tinder-Meets-StubHub' Dating App
WillCalled is the latest dating app on the block that is centered around events. Ken Madson and Lex Lipsitz, co-founders of WillCalled, joined Cheddar to discuss how it works and how it stands out from other popular apps like Bumble and Tinder.
Trump Inauguration Controversy, Bomb Threats, and More
Federal prosecutors are investigating whether foreigners illegally funneled money to President Trump's inaugural committee to buy influence over American policy. Bomb threats emailed to multiple locations across the country deemed non-credible by the FBI. For the first time ever, the number of streaming shows has surpassed the number of basic cable and broadcast shows. From now until December 31st, users of the dating app Hinge can get a buy-one, get-one free meal at Chipotle to enjoy with their date.
Load More