By Josh Boak

The Treasury Department said Monday that 39 million families are set to receive monthly child payments beginning on July 15.

The payments are part of President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package, which expanded the child tax credit for one year and made it possible to pre-pay the benefits on a monthly basis. Nearly 88% of children are set to receive the benefits without their parents needing to take any additional action.

“This tax cut sends a clear and powerful message to American workers, working families with children: Help is here,” Biden said in remarks at the White House.

Qualified families will receive a payment of up to $300 per month for each child under 6 and up to $250 per month for children between the ages of 6 and 17. The child tax credit was previously capped at $2,000 and only paid out to families with income tax obligations after they filed with the IRS.

But for this year, couples earning $150,000 or less can receive the full payments on the 15th of each month, in most cases by direct deposit. The benefits total $3,600 annually for children under 6 and $3,000 for those who are older. The IRS will determine eligibility based on the 2019 and 2020 tax years, but people will also be able to update their status through an online portal. The administration is also setting up another online portal for non-filers who might be eligible for the child tax credit.

The president has proposed an extension of the increased child tax credit through 2025 as part of his $1.8 trillion families plan. Outside analysts estimate that the payments could essentially halve child poverty. The expanded credits could cost roughly $100 billion a year.

Updated on May 17, 2021, at 2:06 p.m. ET with the latest details.

Share:
More In Politics
House Intel Committee Votes to Release FBI Memo
CRTV's Nate Madden and The Daily Dot's Andrew Wyrich discuss Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe stepping down just hours before the House Intel Committee voted to release a classified memo. That document allegedly reveals misconduct by FBI and Justice Department officials in the Russia investigation.
Closing Bell: January 29, 2018
Axios recently published a National Security Council memo considering the possibility of a national 5G network. Since that report was published Sunday, the Trump administration responded saying it has no current plans to nationalize a 5G network, according to Recode. New York's Attorney General is investigating a company selling fake followers. Elon Musk is selling flamethrowers. Reuters is reported banned from the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony.
Between Bells: January 29, 2018
Between Bells: State of the Union preview, Steve Wynn scandal, and the biggest Grammy moments. With The Young Turks, The Wrap, and CBN News.
What Military Families Want to See From the State of the Union
President Trump's outline for the future of the defense budget will draw attention from the millions of military families waiting to see what the agenda means for them. Blue Star Families' Kathy Roth-Douquet joins Cheddar to reveal what she says military families are looking for from the president's first State of the Union address.
Agree To Disagree: State Of The Union Edition
All eyes will be on Washington tomorrow as President Trump delivers his first State of the Union address. The Young Turks' Emma Vigeland and CBN's Jenna Browder discuss what to expect.
Opening Bell: January 29, 2018
Keurig Green Mountain is buying Dr Pepper Snapple, creating a giant beverage company that will generate an estimated $11 billion in annual revenue. Steve Wynn is out as RNC Finance Chair following sexual misconduct allegations. Rafael Acevedo, Group Director for Diet Coke North America, joins us to discuss the company's overhaul of its diet soda. And we break down all the biggest moments from the 60th Annual Emmy Awards.
Load More