If the reports are true, Apple ($AAPL) will be testing out a new strategy for its all-important fall hardware event. Traditionally, this year would be what's come to be known in Apple parlance as a "mid-cycle" upgrade year: some feature and processor refreshing, but no major overhauls of its core iPhone, iPad, and MacBook lines.
But reading the tea leaves from a Bloomberg report published Thursday, Apple's plans this year go further than what would be typical of a mid-cycle refresh.
In addition to iPad and MacBook refreshes, Apple plans to unveil three new iPhones, according to Bloomberg, including a "Pro" line to replace the XS. The upgraded iPhone Pro will reportedly include a major overhaul to the camera to include a third, wide-angle sensor that will essentially take three photos and use A.I. to stitch them together into one image. Samsung has made huge strides in its phone camera tech, and the Galaxy S10's ultrawide camera is increasingly seen as the smartphone camera to beat.
The new line of iPhones are said to also include reverse wireless charging, enhanced Face ID, increased water-resistance, faster chips for A.R. ー though no 5G capability.
Dan Ives, managing director of equity research for Wedbush Securities and a full-time Apple watcher, told Cheddar that Apple is leaning into the mid-upgrade cycle in a bid to offer just enough new features to convince customers who may be on the fence about upgrading to pull the trigger.
"Apple realizes there's 350 million iPhones in upgrade opportunity," Ives said. "That's what the focus is going to be."
After a disastrous holiday quarter last year, a successful fall hardware launch needs to show investors that Apple is still capable of driving demand for iPhone even in off years, especially overseas. Ives said he expects Apple could sell 75 million to 80 million new iPhones in the first few months, but it will be dependent on China, which accounts for 20 percent of the iPhone upgrade market.
"This will not be successful if iPhone demand in China has not shown growth," he said.
Apple is taking a calculated risk by not waiting until 2020, when it has said it expects to be able to provide 5G technology in new devices. The hope, according to Ives, is that the average iPhone user, who hasn't purchased a new device in three years, will be swayed by the camera technology and faster processor that are expected to be revealed in the next month. "I do not believe many can wait until 5G," Ives said.
It will be a busy fall for the Cupertino-based company. Apple's subscription streaming service TV+, rumored to be priced at $10/month, is also expected to launch before the holidays. Ives is more bullish than some on the success of TV+, predicting it could reach 100 million consumers in three to four years. "But they're going to need more content," he said. "They significantly have to step up their game." Ives predicts Apple will ink major acquisition deals with big studios in the coming years when it becomes apparent it can't possibly produce enough high-end content on its own to catch up to Disney, HBO, or Netflix.
Stocks closed sharply higher Thursday after several days of investor skittishness over the COVID-19 Omicron variant. This rebound comes despite several cases of the variant being reported in the United States. Gene Goldman, Chief Investment Officer at Cetera, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss today's close, the Fed's recent announcement about speeding up their taper timeline, and more.
Austin Winsberg, creator of the NBC series "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" joined Cheddar's "Closing Bell" to dish out some details about the holiday movie special "Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas" now on Roku. Despite initial plans for producing a new Season 3 despite being canceled by the network, Winsberg said that it is not necessary to have seen the first two seasons in order to enjoy the movie. He noted that following cancellation fans rallied behind the show, campaigning for it to come back, which led to a movie being greenlit by Lionsgate to be completed within just a four-month window, according to Winsberg.
As the Leonardo DiCaprio-backed, pure-play electric vehicle company Polestar plans to close a SPAC IPO with Gores Guggenheim, CEO Thomas Ingenlath talked to Cheddar about how the company positioned itself to be able to go public. With competition tightening in the electric vehicle sector, Ingenlath noted what differentiates his cars from the competitors. "Scandinavian cool design and of course the road to zero emissions is something that we take very, very seriously," he said.
Bitcoin is slowly coming back to life after plunging recently, but everyone's favorite cryptocurrency needs to chart a 77% rally in the next four weeks to reach the widely forecast year-end value of $100,000. Bitcoin was trading more than 0.8% percent lower on Thursday morning, Ethereum was also declining. David Nage, portfolio manager at Arca, joins Cheddar News to talk discuss the market.
Jack Dorsey is stepping down as CEO of Twitter. In a statement, he says he is leaving because the company is ready to move on from its founders. Twitter's chief technology office Parag Agrawal will take over as CEO. Ian Sherr, editor at large at CNET, joins Cheddar News to talk about the announcement.
Actor Chris Diamantopolous joined Cheddar's "Between Bells" to talk about his new Netflix movie "Red Notice," starring alongside Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson, and Gal Gadot, and the massive success it has seen since its release. Diamantopoulos discussed what it was like stepping into the role of the villain, being able to play a character so different from himself in real life. He also talked about playing a heavy in another hit Netflix production, "True Story," and what it was like working with Kevin Hart and Wesley Snipes.
Michelle Holder, president of the Washington Center for Equitable Growth and a labor economist at John Jay College joins Cheddar News to discuss the October jobs report.
If your kid was on Santa's "nice list" this year, maybe you're willing to shell out $1,900 for Tesla's new Cyberquad. The automaker's all-electric ATV for children 8 years old and up is available to order now and is expected to begin shipping in two to four weeks.
Grab, a Southeast Asia-based ride sharing, e-wallet, and delivery service, made its public debut on the Nasdaq via SPAC merger. CFO Peter Oey joined Cheddar's Brad Smith to talk about the IPO and why it was an ideal time for the company to go public. Oey noted that while Grab operates in 465 cities in eight Southeast Asian countries, there is still more opportunity to grow and expand while balancing profitability and growth.