If the reports are true, Apple ($AAPL) will be testing out a new strategy for its all-important fall hardware event. Traditionally, this year would be what's come to be known in Apple parlance as a "mid-cycle" upgrade year: some feature and processor refreshing, but no major overhauls of its core iPhone, iPad, and MacBook lines.

But reading the tea leaves from a Bloomberg report published Thursday, Apple's plans this year go further than what would be typical of a mid-cycle refresh.

In addition to iPad and MacBook refreshes, Apple plans to unveil three new iPhones, according to Bloomberg, including a "Pro" line to replace the XS. The upgraded iPhone Pro will reportedly include a major overhaul to the camera to include a third, wide-angle sensor that will essentially take three photos and use A.I. to stitch them together into one image. Samsung has made huge strides in its phone camera tech, and the Galaxy S10's ultrawide camera is increasingly seen as the smartphone camera to beat.

The new line of iPhones are said to also include reverse wireless charging, enhanced Face ID, increased water-resistance, faster chips for A.R. ー though no 5G capability.

Dan Ives, managing director of equity research for Wedbush Securities and a full-time Apple watcher, told Cheddar that Apple is leaning into the mid-upgrade cycle in a bid to offer just enough new features to convince customers who may be on the fence about upgrading to pull the trigger.

"Apple realizes there's 350 million iPhones in upgrade opportunity," Ives said. "That's what the focus is going to be."

After a disastrous holiday quarter last year, a successful fall hardware launch needs to show investors that Apple is still capable of driving demand for iPhone even in off years, especially overseas. Ives said he expects Apple could sell 75 million to 80 million new iPhones in the first few months, but it will be dependent on China, which accounts for 20 percent of the iPhone upgrade market.

"This will not be successful if iPhone demand in China has not shown growth," he said.

Apple is taking a calculated risk by not waiting until 2020, when it has said it expects to be able to provide 5G technology in new devices. The hope, according to Ives, is that the average iPhone user, who hasn't purchased a new device in three years, will be swayed by the camera technology and faster processor that are expected to be revealed in the next month. "I do not believe many can wait until 5G," Ives said.

It will be a busy fall for the Cupertino-based company. Apple's subscription streaming service TV+, rumored to be priced at $10/month, is also expected to launch before the holidays. Ives is more bullish than some on the success of TV+, predicting it could reach 100 million consumers in three to four years. "But they're going to need more content," he said. "They significantly have to step up their game." Ives predicts Apple will ink major acquisition deals with big studios in the coming years when it becomes apparent it can't possibly produce enough high-end content on its own to catch up to Disney, HBO, or Netflix.

Share:
More In Business
Stocks Close Mostly Lower; Dow Suffers 500-Point Drop
Michele Schneider, Partner and Director of Trading Research & Education for MarketGauge.com, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell, where she says the spread of the Omicron variant and Jerome Powell's comments following the latest Fed decision are spooking investors heading into the weekend.
New Space Race Takes Form as Private Companies Team Up to Build Space Stations
Marshall Smith, Senior Vice President of Space Systems at Nanoracks and Kirk Shireman, Vice President of the Lunar Exploration Campaign at Lockheed Martin join Future of Space: Humankind's Leap Forward to discuss upcoming plans for developing their Starlab commercial space station after being awarded a $160 million contract by NASA.
Latest "Spiderman" Installment Saves Theater Stocks, But is it Enough Amid COVID-19 Variant?
Both AMC and Cinemark shares rose Friday after a pandemic-era record number of moviegoers attended the 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' opening night. The movie is expected to pull at least $150 million in box office sales opening weekend. But is this momentum enough for theater chains as the COVID-19 omicron variant poses new threats? Daniel Loria, Editorial Director at Boxoffice PRO, joins Cheddar News' Closing Bell to discuss.
Future of Space: Humankind's Leap Forward
The billionaire space race took off in 2021, making major strides in space tourism. That growth is only expected to skyrocket in the next year, as the government and private institutions and companies look to shape the final frontier's exploration. Cheddar News dives into the biggest moments of the year in space, and what comes next for space travel and tourism.
Delta CFO on Airline Mask Mandates, International Travel & Bringing Back Services
While other CEOs of Southwest and American Airlines questioned current mask mandates in front of Congress, Delta CFO Dan Janki in his exclusive interview with Cheddar, was more cautious about doing away with the safety measure. "We're right now at the beginning of another wave," he said. "This is probably not the time to change mask policy." Janki also discussed his airline's future in loyalty program pricing, international travel, meal services, and stock pricing.
Load More